Problems with video overlays

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems with video overlays

Post by Harry »

LapTimer does not delete videos from storage (LapTimer Documents folder) except when requested. So either this first video has not been recorded, or it has been deleted accidentally. In case you cannot see it in the Video Selection view, it is not there.

I asked on the memory because the thread started with your statement "Turns out I'd used about all the memory in my 64G iPhone 4S" and my first answer was on how to deal with low memory situation because of this...

Sorry I cannot help more from here, it is always difficult to comment if you do not have the phone in front of you...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
zonagravedad
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by zonagravedad »

Hello Harry:

I have a problem with video overlaying. This is my workflow:

- iPod Touch with Laptimer Pro 15.0.3 for recording GPS and acceleration.
- Dual XGPS 150 as external GPS.
- GoPro Hero 2 for recording video

- iPad 1 with Laptimer Trainer 15.0.3 for analysing and video overlaying.
- iPad camera conection kit.

1) I record GPS and acceleration data with my iPod Touch and Dual GPS.
2) I import lap data to my iPad 1 from the iPod Touch.
3) I import the GoPro video into the iPad 1 via Apple iPad camera conection kit. I can see the video in the iPad Photo App, but I can't save it to the "camera roll" ( I guess that it is because the iPad 1 has no built in camera ).
4) I open the lap in the iPad 1 and try to overlay the video. The problem is that it offers me "Laptimer videos" and "camera roll" but it can't find no videos there.

I could overlay the video directly into the iPod touch ( that has a built in camera and "Camera roll" ), but the problem is that the iPad camera conection kit is not compatible with iPod Touch...

I want to check the videos on site, so I wouldn't like having to bring my laptop for importing/exporting purposes.

Thank you very much and keep up the good work!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Problem seems to be in step #3 / #4
LapTimer shows both the videos in the Camera Roll and any other folder in the Photo app! I'm aware that LapTimer's video list states 'Camera Roll' but it is any folder as stated before. So please check if you see the imported video anywhere in the Photo app, and try selecting it from LapTimer if it appears here. As LapTimer accesses the Photo app through a special API, I cannot guarantee available videos are immediately reflected. In case the video list is incomplete, quit LapTimer and Photo app to force a refresh (that's just a thought / try).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
zonagravedad
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by zonagravedad »

Hello:

I can see and play the video in the Photo App. I can create albums, copy the video on it, etc.

I have closed the Laptimer App, the Photo App and even restarted the iPad and the problem is still there...

I suspect thet the problem could be related with using an iPad 1...
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, just tested it on my iPad1 (3G) and videos shown in Photo app appear in LapTimer's video selection list too. Which iOS version do you use?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
vonzoom
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by vonzoom »

Purchased my Pro Lap Timer ver 15.04 (4+) and used it at VIR last week end. I sucessfully overlayed 2 laps, but unable to do so with the remaining 4 laps.
I have received the following when attempting to overlay a particular lap

Overlaying failed as either video or data recording were missing or corrupted.

Checking lap info, graph indicates the following.

All Laps from VIR Full Not filtered by vehicle
Absolutely fastest sector or lap (02:20.75)
Fastest sector or lap at time recorded
Virtually best lap (sum of best sector times)
Lap selected (02:25.94 – Jun 10, 2012)

FYI, I can review any video, and it plays flawlessly. Just cannot get it to overlay.

Assume it could be GPS related. Using Iphone 4S only, mounted directly on windshield. E92 M3.

Appreciate comment.

Thank you
Doc (vonzoom)
vonzoom
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by vonzoom »

This mean either the video or the data is missing. As I assume you see the video in front of you, it is most probably the last issue named in this post: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=571#p2658

How to continue? Version 15.0.5 will fix all data for you. Please make sure you do not insert / delete laps currently. Once the bug fix release is available (approximately in 1 week), it will reorder your GPS recordings and make them available for overlaying again. As an alternative, and if you are a technical person, you may install iExplorer (free desktop application), navigate to Apps->LapTimer->Documents and send all the .pdb files you find here zipped. I will run 15.0.5 against that.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

- Harry]
Assume this applies to me. I did erase some laps that did not overlay. My data check sez 351 errors fixed.
Still will not overlay.
Doc
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, most probably. Please do not add / remove laps until you have received the update. In case you want me to have a look into your data, extract all .pdb files from LapTimer's Documents folder using the free tool iExplorer (easy to google), and send them to me (zipped).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
sylvain007
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by sylvain007 »

I am using:
- iPhone 4s (on the right of the wheel)
- Tomtom car kit
- Kiwi Wifi (under passagers feet)
- Harry v15 (last Saturday version available)
- GoPro video

Next, I imported the GoPro video on my iphone, and used the overlay functionality to generate these 3 videos:

1. With a passenger
http://youtu.be/smZfK7p-220

2. Circuit Laquais - 1m37s41
http://youtu.be/BeUjQL8_2eo

3. Following a friend
http://youtu.be/zalFGmu1ogw

In the video #2 for example, the lap details shows: external GPS @ 1.0Hz, so I guess Tomtom kit worked.

As you can see, there are some "data" freezes time to time (speed, rpm, throttle). It is quite frustrating to be honest...
Example: on the #1 at 0:20, #2 at 0:19, #3 at 0:27

Any idea how to improve the data rate quality?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

As you had a OBD device connected, speed (and certainly rpm, throttle) are taken from this sensor. So the short freezes are not related to GPS or the TomTom, but to interruptions to the OBD sensor. On the later there are several discussions going on including PCX and Apple (on the stability of ad hoc networks). The overall stability of the wifi connection and the data transferred improved greatly with the settings LT applies today (I believe v13 or so), and the router setting PLX recommends, but they are not fully gone. Every time I had issues lately, this were do to other devices (your co-driver's phone, a second phone, whatever other gadget you carry around) trying to connect to the Kiwi in parallel. So please turn off wifi for all other gadgets around, that is clearly helpful.

The videos are great by the way :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image