Problems with video overlays

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems with video overlays

Post by Harry »

Hi,

The full story on video recording / overlaying is available here: http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Video.html
Please note this is updated to LapTimer v15 already. It will be available soon.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
cannon1000
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by cannon1000 »

I have created overlays on a few laps (before running out of memory) and I want to export them. I can not find them any where (They are not in my Photo Library). I synced phone w/iTunes and iPhoto and do not see the videos in there either.

iPhone 4S, HLTP v15.0 Pro
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please check the link above. Raw videos are kept within LapTimer Documents folder now. Only overlaid videos go to the Photo Library.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
cannon1000
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by cannon1000 »

Thanks Harry,

Sorry I was not clear - I was referring to the vid w/overlays. I did not see them on the phone (Camera Roll) but when I synced w/iTunes they did appear in iPhoto.

After freeing memory...further laps I have processed DID appear under "Camera Roll" - working as it was supposed to.

So all is good it appears.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Should be available in the 'Camera Roll' after overlaying...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tipounastre
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tipounastre »

Hi Harry,

Great news this version 15. Thanks a lot ;)

I have not yet tried it (new car is on its way and the old one is sold)... but after having read the online documentation I still have a few questions on video overlay. Is it correct that each lap has to be overlaid manually.

How is it working for example for the following case:
- Lap 1
- Lap 2
- Lap 3

Raw video is created
1. I select Lap 1 and overlay with raw video - generates result video 1
2. I select Lap 2 and overlay with what ? raw video ? result video 1 ? is it generating result video 2 or replacing result video 1?
3. I select Lap 3... same questions as Lap 2 ;)

Basically I want to know what is the source / result for each overlay, and if I need to manually merge all generated videos to have a final video with all laps... if a new file is generated for each lap, then memory might be an issue pretty quickly.

[EDIT] And is it possible to overlay all laps in one shot ?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Given the space restrictions on a iPhone, LapTimer is still focussed on overlaying selected and individual laps - not everything. I understand it might be convenient, but "doing all" is effectively not what can be supported on such a small device - neither for raw recording (see Number number numbers, you simply will not be able to record everything including vids), nor for overlaid vids.

The storage concept is as follows: you run 3 laps including video recording. This generates one large continuous video, and three lap recordings (including all the data recording). Each of the laps has a link to the large video and a sync point within this large video. The sync point differs, the video exists only once. Overlaying lap 2 means you generate a new video (in Photo library) cut to the lap length, extracting the correct portion of the large video according to sync point and lap length, and overlaid. Lap 1 and 3 still point to the large video. So after overlaying lap 2 you have the large raw one and one short overlaid for lap 2. In case you overlay lap 1 in addition, you will have the large raw one and 2 short overlaid.

Finally, in case you overlay lap 3 in addition, you get 3 overlaid and LT will ask if it should purge the raw one from memory. The same happens if you unlink all laps pointing to a raw video - LT will ask if the video should be deleted.

The only optimization in terms of space would be cutting out portions of the large video once an overlaid video has been created. Downside is it would take very long to process and it would not allow to specify intro / extro times for individual laps.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tipounastre
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tipounastre »

OK thanks - and then I'll need to merge the 3 overlaid videos manually ?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

If you want this, you need to do it outside LapTimer, yes.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tipounastre
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tipounastre »

iMovie should make it :-)
it's working well on holidays movies...