No OBDII data overlay

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Mr. Pockets
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

No OBDII data overlay

Post by Mr. Pockets »

Hello,

I'm trying to get LapTimer working on my iPhone6, and I'm having trouble with the OBDII data. While I'm on the video recording screen, I can see engine speed and it's correctly identifying gears. But I get no vehicle speed or throttle. When I have it rocess the overlay, I don't get any OBDII data at all.

I have a GoPoint GL1, which I've plugged a lightning adapter into for the iPhone6. I suppose this is a combination that may not have been tested yet. Previously I used an iPhone 4S with my sensors, so I'm just trying to get it all working with the new phone before my first event of the season.

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No OBDII data overlay

Post by Harry »

Does it still work for the 4S and can you reproduce the behavior? There is one difference between real time viewing of OBD data and overlaying: the later gets data from the database, not a sensor in real time. As OBD data is stored synced to the GPS fixes, it gets stored with a working GPS reception only. So if you have no GPS position, you will see OBD in real time, but nothing when overlaying the "data".

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Mr. Pockets
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Mr. Pockets »

That's a good question, and I'll find out tonight. Thanks!
Mr. Pockets
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Mr. Pockets »

Yeah, the same thing happens with my iPhone 4S. I wonder, then, if there is something wrong with my settings in the app or if the GL1 is bad.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

There have been issues with requesting battery voltage in old GoPoint firmware versions. I'm not sure up to which version the GL1 firmware has been maintained (the adapter is not offered any more), but this item might be the issue. I have enabled the requests to battery voltage in v17 or v18 - when GoPoint had the issue fixed.

So please first check if you have the most recent firmware installed - check with GoPoint. In case this doesn't help or you are on the latest version already, try to exclude the battery voltage request by adding "FFF3" to the LapTimer's Exclude PIDs expert setting. Reconnect the device to be sure the setting is active.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

BTW: "search" is your friend ;-) Try this tweak: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2387#p12477

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Mr. Pockets
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Mr. Pockets »

Okay, excluding POD 0720 did suddenly make the data overlay start working. I've been recording video while driving the past couple days to make sure it's solid. Today, though, the app has crashed on me twice while recording video. It's deceptive, because it keeps flashing 'recording,' and the image is live. But none of the interface elements are updating and it does not react to input from me. I have to hit the home button and restart the app.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That's most probably not related to the thread's topic. A massive slow down of the system is mostly about corruption in the media library starting tons of background threads (known issue). Cleaning up the Photo library, restarting the system help sometimes. I had this as a focus topic during v19 beta testing, but we could reproduce it for any of the testers. Keep you fingers cross it is gone when v19 is coming out (1 to 2 weeks).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Mr. Pockets
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Mr. Pockets »

Fair enough, thanks. I tend to clear out the pictures and videos from my phone before I go to the track anyway.