[SOLVED] Inaccurate data

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
theone1664
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

[SOLVED] Inaccurate data

Post by theone1664 »

HI Harry,

I have a Kiwi-style wifi Adaptor paired to an iphone 4 running v14.1 and I have noticed that the gear read out is misreading by 2 gears i.e when in 6th it read 4th. Also the mph is incorrect by approx 40% lower(GPs signal is fine/max). The other problem is that the link between adaptor and software seems to drop in and out, as the rev/gear data dissappers. When this happens the mph read out is accurate.

Can you please help ASAP as I need this to work for a trackday in a week
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Inaccurate data

Post by Harry »

Hi,

To get correct gear read outs, you need to configure your vehicle's drive ratios. As the gear is not available as a standard from OBD, LapTimer reads the rpm, the speed, and calculates the gear from drive ratios and wheel size. Please goto Vehicle List and set up a car that matches your car's spec.

There is an issue with higher speeds as long as the internal GPS is used. It seems this problem was introduced with on of the iOS4.x versions. To work around this, LapTimer 14 has an expert setting to switch from measured to calculated speed. In mode 'Calculated', LapTimer uses the GPS fixes, and time and distance between them to calculate the speed.

Last point on the Kiwi. There are several workarounds described on their forum, none of them really fix the problem. Seems to be an incompatibility between the iPhone and the wifi chip set used by Kiwi (this is somewhat speculative). Same problem with OBDLink. Good news is that the connection seems to be reliable as long as you do not have too many WLANs around (like in town).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
theone1664
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by theone1664 »

Hi Harry, I have configured the cars spec, here are the figures I'm using

Gear Ratio: 6MT
1st: 3.266
2nd: 2.130
3rd: 1.517
4th: 1.147
5th: 0.921
6th: 0.738
Reverse: 3.583
Final Gear Ratio: 5.062

What should I change or do to archive the correct read out?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Please create a car in the Vehicle List and enter the values (except reverse) into the row. Select the correct tire codes. Enter all the values in the 'Engine' section too. Check if the max speeds by gear look reasonable. Please note that with a fuel saving, long sixth gear, the speed shown will be higher than what your engine can make.

When you connect your OBD and no vehicle contains the VIN received from the OBD, LapTimer will ask if you want to link to an existing vehicle. Select the vehicle you have created above. Drive.

In case your car does not deliver a VIN, select the vehicle manually: go to e.g. Classic View, press the small tool in the top left, select your car. Drive.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
theone1664
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by theone1664 »

I have entered all tyre, engine and gear values, but it still miss read by 2 gears and doesnt even register 1st & 2nd. What can I adjust to get correct read out?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Please send me a series of snapshots: everything you see in your vehicle's details view. Please use LapTimer@gmx.de

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
theone1664
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by theone1664 »

Email with images sent