Repeated data loss

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
SteveK
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Repeated data loss

Post by SteveK »

I have a 3rd generation iPod Touch 32GB (with over 10GB free space) running iOS 5.1.1 and HLT 18.3.4.

After I emailed myself the results from my previous day’s track sessions (which was delivered with no problems), I lost ALL my data on my iPod Touch – hundreds of laps going back to 2011. I have no problem getting into Lap Timer, but all laps have vanished.

The good news: I then researched the Forum and downloaded iFunbox to my PC and was able to restore my files, although I have lost the GPS data for my last track day and the associated output, e.g., track map, max speed, and average speed, but I do have the total lap time. (As an aside, the GPS file (described as “LapTimerGPSRecDB.csv: recorded GPS fixes as universal CSV format”) was exported in my email mentioned earlier, but I do not know how to import that data and have not yet researched how to solve that problem.)

The bad news: Each time I try to export a track day or send a lap to my iPad (also running iOS 5.1.1 and HLT 18.3.4), I again lose all the data and have to restore again using iFunbox.

Any suggestions on how to avoid losing this data and still be able to export or send laps to my iPad or email?

Also, I would appreciate it if you would explain how to import the GPS data for my last track day or point me to a thread on the Forum that has an explanation.

As always, thanks for this great tool that I have recommended dozens of times over the last few years.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Repeated data loss

Post by Harry »

That sounds like a reproduce-able bug. Would you mind zipping the complete recover directory and send it to me. Please add the exact range of laps you are exporting. The 3rd gen iPod touch comes with only 256 MB memory, I'd assume it is an out if memory issue... Maybe when launching Mail, LapTimer is removed from memory or something like this...

Harry
Image Image Image Image
SteveK
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Repeated data loss

Post by SteveK »

Hi, Harry,

The zipped recovery directory is too large (22.5MB) to send. Do you have an email address or other method to send this file?

By the way, the loss of data occurs both when I email all the laps for 6 October 2014 or try to send one lap via Bluetooth to my iPad.

Any suggestions on how to import the GPS data for my last track day (that I successfully exported) or point me to a thread on the Forum that has an explanation.

Thanks for your help.

Steve Kadish
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It is probably easiest to create a Dropbox account and share it with me (it is easy, please check dropbox.com).
I forgot the data import item... CSV files cannot be imported but need to be converted to .hlptrl first. You may check viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2243&start=10#p12551 for a discussion on the format. There is no automated tool available currently. Once data is stored as a .hlptrl file, it can be imported into any LapTimer database.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
SteveK
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by SteveK »

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi Steve,

I checked the data and the last session of the last track day is corrupted. It is removed when LapTimer checks the data. A second check data run, fixes another 50 issues I have no details on. I could reproduce the a crash but this actually happens when exporting to Mail on iOS8.0.2 When using iOS7.1 I had no issues. The problem is that the subprocess (Mail) crashes while LapTimer stays alive (at least in the simulator. This is probably the special situation LapTimer resets data when started again.

Using Dropbox export instead of Mail works on the other hand (which confirms it is the Mail subprocess generating the issue). This may be a workaround for you too.

It is wired... I have exported all your data to a .hlptrl file and will send you a link to both the repaired databases and the export file - maybe you want to use them. I will try to reproduce the issue using a real world device later.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Tested 6th Oct export on a 5S running iOS8.1 in addition and it worked with the data sent.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image