Choppy overlay video Android V18.1

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
petik0
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Choppy overlay video Android V18.1

Post by petik0 »

gplracerx wrote:I found an editor that would work, MPEG Streamclip v1.2. It probably works because it's old. The latest copyright date is 2008. So I cut out a lap from the HQ video and saved it without changing format, used iBrowse to put it in the documents folder on a new (yes, you can actually win things on those string cutting games in the mall) iPad Air (iOS 7.1.2 HLT 18.3.6) and imported the .hlptrlz file. The time stamp was ~14 to ~16 minutes, so I guessed it was lap #8 and linked and overlaid. No pixelation artifacts and smooth frame rate. The video was as shaky as the original, but looked good. So the problem does seem to be Android related, or at least your Android device.
Yeah, absolutely agreed there. I was nearing a point of just saying screw it and buying an ipod touch (5th gen) purely for the overlay work. I find that Harry's does by far the best overlay from the look/information perspective compared to anything else out there including paid programs for the PC...I'm sure this is personal preference, but I just really like the way Harry's looks.

I'll give Streamclip a shot just to see if it works on android. Is this the one? http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-win.html
Harry wrote:The problem is clearly related to the video library used (or the way LapTimer uses the video library). ffmpeg is a respectable and very universal library, but it is hard to use and misses good hardware integration. It is a "better than nothing" mechanism if one wants to do video processing on an Android device. Without, it is not even possible up to Android 4.3. I do not want to get any religious discussion or statements, but in this area iOS is dimensions better than Android. I needed to invest a complete month of work just to create something from Android / ffmpeg that has been available in iOS out of the box... Just another background story.

Mid-term I plan to use video processing support available since Android 4.3. It will be a "version 1" implementation (and comes with nearly no documentation), but I hope to find a better integrated solution here. But till then, ffmpeg needs to work... I will re-check the current implementation based on the input submitted (thanks for this) - it definitively is possible - even with mpeg4/2.

- Harry
Thanks for the support, Harry. It really is curious that it works great on some android devices and not on others.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Yes, that's it. I hadn't seen the beta version that apparently lets you capture YouTube videos.
petik0
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by petik0 »

No go with that conversion tool either. The source really doesn't seem to matter.

I sucked it up and bought race renderer so I could get some overlays done in the meantime and of course that works just fine. The need to sync datalogs to video is a pain of course and the lack of corner names, corner speeds and sectors is frustrating.
craigcowen
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by craigcowen »

I am having the same problem on a Galaxy S5. My video was taken with the phone.
I read through the thread but did not see an answer.
Does anyone have a fix? I also resorted to using RaceRender but would rather have the Laptimer overlay.
BTW, that is me in the blue Vette. I was out with Edge Addicts that day as well.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

craigcowen wrote:I am having the same problem on a Galaxy S5. My video was taken with the phone.
I read through the thread but did not see an answer.
Does anyone have a fix? I also resorted to using RaceRender but would rather have the Laptimer overlay.
BTW, that is me in the blue Vette. I was out with Edge Addicts that day as well.
There is no solution available currently (incompatibility). Please wait for LapTimer v19 - which includes a new version of the video library.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image