G force readings backwards... How to prevent?

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
AEsco48
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: G force readings backwards... How to prevent?

Post by AEsco48 »

So I am actually mounting the iPhone (5) inside the center console. Last night I made a foam mount so that it has a 40* tilt. Ill post a pic next week. The video is taken with a GoPro mounted via suction cup to the the rear window.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, please post a picture - that's interesting.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
AEsco48
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by AEsco48 »

Here are the pics of the mount I made.

Other USB cable goes to powering the GoPro.

It was relatively cool @15C and the iphone would get pretty hot in the confined space... We need the turn off the iphone video recording function! :)

I actually think for the next track event ill mount the iphone in a place I can see the lap times as i drive.
AEsco48
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by AEsco48 »

Follow up question.

For some reason mid though the day in the data recording section of the lap it stopped showing the g forces on the map. If I click the recalculate i get the below message.
I was running a Dual's XGPS150

I looked around and did not find anything that seemed to cause it to no longer plot the gforces. At some point during the day I got some error that said to notify the admin and I lost all the data.. I was in a rush so dont remember exactly what happen.

Any idea what would cause it no to display g forces??
What should i do now? How bad are the calculated vs measured?

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I'd suggest to move the phone to the "standard position" in the windscreen / on the dashboard. Otherwise you will never see when LapTimer issues a message and things like this. For motorbikes it is often necessary to put the device into the gloves box, but a 911 has plenty of space to put it. Furthermore, you can select a place in front of a fan - which cools the phone and works around any overheating issues. Finally, the picture shows the iPhone slightly upwards, but with wrong orientation. In a position like this, it needs to show a portrait view to calibrate correctly.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
AEsco48
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by AEsco48 »

Ouch, wish I would have known about the orientation.

So what do I do about the track map not showing the G force? Do I just recalculate?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In case you recalculate "after the fact", simply press "Recalculate" and adjust the smoothing (there will be another dialog showing up).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image