LapTimer fails on a Nexus 5

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Lapdog
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

LapTimer fails on a Nexus 5

Post by Lapdog »

LapTimer does not work with the internal GPS on a Nexus 5. On launch, it shows no fix and the following status:

Overall status: Not Ready (red)
LGE Nexus 5 GPS (green)
GPS Position (red)
Accuracy (red)
Storage 0.0 GB (green)
Calibration (red)
Track nearby (red)

The GPS page stays at "Acquiring satellites" and never seems to recognize that the phone has a valid GPS fix.

The phone shows the location symbol in the status bar indicating that location services have been activated by LapTimer.

The Map page shows the precise location when the current location button is touched.

The symptoms seem to indicate that even though a precise fix has been obtained, LapTimer is stuck waiting on some status from the phone.

Other apps (including RaceChrono) have no issues with location services on this phone.

Any ideas?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LapTimer fails on a Nexus 5

Post by Harry »

It probably does not provide high precision GPS data (NMEA) like the Nexus 4 did. Please enter "Sensors", and select the row "LGE Nexus 5 GPS". Let me know what you get reported. LapTimer supports smartphones delivering high precision NMEA data only currently. Most deliver this data, some do not (please check http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility_Android.html for the details).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
bigmillertime
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bigmillertime »

Harry, the following is displayed on the NEXUS 5. I too am trying to get this working.

NMEA sentences received: GPGSV, GPGSA, GPVTG, GPRMC, GPGGA

Please assist.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

O.k. so you need to send me a log please. Please check the article below for a how-to. Replace the trace class OBD Sensors by GPS Sensors to select the respective output. Please make sure the log is generated while you are outside with a clear view to the sky.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1500

Thanks!

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
bigmillertime
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bigmillertime »

Harry, thank you for the quick reply. I'm not sure what happened but it worked itself out and I had great coverage for my Competition school yesterday in Washington State.

Was hoping you could support me for the following issues.

I had 3 runs with Harry's Lap Timer running. The overlay looked great live while lapping. I am able to see the raw video under lap times but am having trouble generating the overlay.

When I click the overlay button I am presented this pop up:
"Number of laps available for multi-lap overlays reduced due to inconsistent sync points. Please adjust the lap's sync point and agree to adjust the full session."

What does this mean and how do I resolve?

After I click OK I get the following screen shot.
Screenshot_2014-04-06-09-37-00.png
Screenshot_2014-04-06-09-37-00.png (167.78 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
I then press okay, and gives me the pop up of having your phone plugged in etc, and press okay. Then nothing happens.

Appreciate the help Harry. Your App was great and worked flawlessly at the track.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The message simply means there are laps sharing the same video that are not well aligned to each other. In case you want to dive deeper into this, please export the session to .hlptrl and I can give you the exact reason. This will happen in case sync points are changed manually, but maybe it is a flaw too. It is nothing to be too serious about, the bigger issue is the main video linked to your lap seems to be not available (Invalid master video). This needs to be resolved before you can create an overlaid video.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
bigmillertime
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bigmillertime »

Harry wrote:The message simply means there are laps sharing the same video that are not well aligned to each other. In case you want to dive deeper into this, please export the session to .hlptrl and I can give you the exact reason. This will happen in case sync points are changed manually, but maybe it is a flaw too. It is nothing to be too serious about, the bigger issue is the main video linked to your lap seems to be not available (Invalid master video). This needs to be resolved before you can create an overlaid video.

- Harry
Thanks Harry, I've attached the .htptrl. I've made no changes to the video or the laptimes since recording with the software. I'm not sure why they wouldn't be aligned. I would like to work with you on linking the video to the lap so that I can export an overlaid video.

Let me know what the next step is Harry. Thank you.

Best,

Brandon
Attachments
LapTimer-0000-0007-20140407-141140.hlptrz
(65.13 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
bigmillertime
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bigmillertime »

Seen a lot of updates on my Nexus 5 in the last week. Thank you for providing more functionality on the Android platform.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I found the issue with the warning raised and will try to fix it for the next bugfix release. However, as written above, it is actually a warning only and just keeps you from overlaying lap #1 currently. Back to the bigger problem - the "Invalid Master Video". Do you get a preview of this video in Lap Details (i.e. before opening the overlay dialog)? Can you watch / play it?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
bigmillertime
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bigmillertime »

Yes Harry, I am able to preview the video no problem. After pressing overlay there is no response from the software.