LapTimer fails on a Nexus 5

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LapTimer fails on a Nexus 5

Post by Harry »

Yes, too big to process currently. Either convert the video to use a lower resolution or higher compression. Please make sure it is in .mp4 format, otherwise Android will not be able to display thumbnails. Furthermore, don't use spaces and accent characters in the video's file name.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
DjaCLF111R
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by DjaCLF111R »

Hello Harry thanks for the tip and of course it works - thank for that and the HLT app wich is great, efficient and easy to use
GarryR
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by GarryR »

Harry -- Petrolhead Android seems to be coming along and I'm looking forward to getting great use from it, but this weekend I had some problems.

On a new Nexus 5 with 32gb:

1) On an overlaid MP4, telemetry (OBD and GPS) froze in a "stuck" position after about 5 laps and never came back (even though video was still OK).
2) On the above video, accelerometer never seemed to work, although it did work on some of my other test overlaid videos.
3) Displayed speed didn't seem accurate in several cases. At one point my actual on-track speed was 122MPH, while HLT was showing 105MPH. In another case speed went from ~50MPH to ~80MPH in ~1 second, which my car cannot do (unfortunately :cry: . Are these artifacts of internal Nexus 5 GPS @ 1 Hz?

Other things came up which were (I think) part of my own learning curve on HLT. Thanks for your great work!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

On 1) did you discover this driving a west coast track in the late afternoon / evening? despite that, this typically means you had no GPS reception starting at a a certain point in time - which can have several reasons.
On 2) take care you go through the calibration design process: mount your device into a stable mount first; start LapTimer and take care the acceleration shown is zero (you may need to wait a few seconds); in case it isn't, reset calibration by either touching the acceleration circle in the bottom left of the video view, or be pressing any of the Max G gadgets (GPS View, Timer View...). Please never move / rotate the device while already driving, this may keep LapTimer from calibrating correctly or disturb an existing calibration.
On 3) bad GPS reception. LapTimer does not calculate speed itself but simply stores what it gets from the sensor. GPS speed is notorious late and sometimes too low for peak speeds achieved for a short time only. In case you reflect on speed development in the video overlay - that is interpolated speed. You always need to check the raw data in LapTimer Data Recordings area to understand the root cause for strange speed displays in videos.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Kojiro
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Kojiro »

Hooray for search! I was able to find this solution to "invalid master video" on my Android. I have 20+ minute videos because I guess I did not setup the timer correctly, my whole 20 minute track session is one lap. And it wouldn't overlay due to the file size being over 2 GB. Thank you for this solution. I would only suggest a better error message, like "master video file size is too large; please re-encode and try again" or something similar!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Kojiro wrote:Hooray for search! I was able to find this solution to "invalid master video" on my Android. I have 20+ minute videos because I guess I did not setup the timer correctly, my whole 20 minute track session is one lap. And it wouldn't overlay due to the file size being over 2 GB. Thank you for this solution. I would only suggest a better error message, like "master video file size is too large; please re-encode and try again" or something similar!
Yes, I will either add this message or fix it :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
GarryR
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by GarryR »

Harry wrote:On 1) did you discover this driving a west coast track in the late afternoon / evening? despite that, this typically means you had no GPS reception starting at a a certain point in time - which can have several reasons.{/quote}
Nexus 5 is mounted under the windscreen with no interference, unless it's transient interference from the rear view mirror? That seems unlikely, aren't there multiple GPS satellite fixes?
Harry wrote:On 2) take care you go through the calibration design process:
Thanks, I'll be more attentive to this.
Harry wrote:On 3) bad GPS reception. LapTimer does not calculate speed itself but simply stores what it gets from the sensor. GPS speed is notorious late and sometimes too low for peak speeds achieved for a short time only. - Harry
OK, and presumably this is why you recommend external GPS, which I'm considering.
bigmillertime
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bigmillertime »

Thanks for all the updates Harry!

Question, how do I limit the video file to stay under 2gb?
bigmillertime
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bigmillertime »

Anyone?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Still working on this... For a HD video, 2 GB are roughly 25 minutes and for FullHD it is 10 minutes.

Harry
Image Image Image Image