No speed recorded and video space question.

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No speed recorded and video space question.

Post by Harry »

High accuracies (small values) are certainly preferred. But I'd never trust the values calculated, they are heavily chip dependent and can be tweaked just like your car's speedo ;-) I'd suggest to not compare two chips against each other but instead use accuracy as a relative value showing if one receiver is in good condition currently or not.

On the speed I'd suggest to contact Romain from roqyBT. LapTimer uses the same interface for both the internal GPS and one feeded in by roqyBT. As the speed freezes for the external GPS and not for the internal, this means the input from roqyBT freezes. I'm sure Romain can help here.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
DanS13
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by DanS13 »

I'm doing so as we speak :)

Do you have any contact details for him besides the licensing address?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

DanS13 wrote:I should add, I have no issues with the GPS receiver on an Android with RaceChrono (But I want LT for the ease of Overlay and video etc).
I doubt it is a general problem with the QStarz, I'm sure it works. Here is a comparison of the data flow:
  1. Standard scenario: Internal GPS chips -> iOS Location Service -> LapTimer
  2. RoqyBT scenario: QStarz -> roqyBT -> iOS Location Service -> LapTimer
  3. Direct integration: Dual XGPS160 -> LapTimer
  4. Android scenario: QStarz -> LapTimer
Every "->" makes a conversion and may be the place speed gets lost. The "roqyBT -> iOS Location Service" seems to be the issue. To enjoy a directly integrated GPS Sensor you may try your QStarz with LapTimer Rookie available for Android :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

DanS13 wrote:I'm doing so as we speak :)

Do you have any contact details for him besides the licensing address?
support@roqy-bluetooth.net

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
DanS13
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by DanS13 »

I have an android handset I can use but then as we both know I'll miss out on the video capability, which was worth the purchase price alone to not have to run 2 devices, export data, and do overlays later.

Thanks for the email.
DanS13
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by DanS13 »

If all else fails, for $100 I can gram the Emprum, though I'll have forfeited my Roqy costs and will have to sell the Qstarz, but at least it will work.

At least I'm testing it all before a track day and not getting caught out with no data at the track.

See how we go.
DanS13
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by DanS13 »

Nothing back from Romain yet, but I tested CPS Laptimer and behaviour was the same, only the first speed reading comes through then nothing else.

The issue must be with Roqy or the GPS.
ShayneThill
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ShayneThill »

DanS13 wrote:First time user here.

iPhone4s 16GB, Jailbreak on iOS 6x, RoqyBT4, QStarz BT1000 (in 5hz mode)

Using PetrolHead

Had a go at recording video on the drive to work and noted that at no point during the trip was speed recorded.

It traced the "track" properly as I'd defined a new one (though I just realised I'd defined the "start" as "start/finish" accidentally). GPS signal was solid, 4-4.2hz the whole way.

I started and stopped the recording manually and after examining data there's no speed recorded.

Was it maybe that manual recording was not enabled in the settings?

Also, The main reason I wanted this app and paid for it was the ability to do it all on one device (video, timing, and overlay - as I used to use a seperate camera and phone with RaceChrono then overlay later).

An 18min trip to work resulted in a 2.7GB file, but then wouldn't allow me to overlay the data, stating that I needed another 400mb or so of space, despite having around 6.5GB free (and that's AFTER the video was recorded not before). I'm happy to clear the phone after each track session (usually around 20mins), but I'll be left high and dry if I've paid for an app and I can't export a single sessions worth of video.
I heard that a New Jersey guy seriously affected local aviation system by a small jamming gps device. So, gps is not always solid.
DanS13
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by DanS13 »

Harry: Question.

Is there a way to control background data app refreshing on iOS6.x like there is on iOS7?

After more testing, and no response from Romain (or is it Roman), It looks like once the app is switched away from (switching away from Roqy to access LT) that's when transmission of data stops.
rscliofan
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rscliofan »

I use RoqyBT to pass obd data on iOS6 without issue.

I set up custom settings in HLT expert settings.

Fully close HLT inc background.

Open Roqy, connect to your device and wait for connection.

Move Roqy to background but do not fully close and open HLT.

Do not expect an immediate connection as it can take a short time for it to begin passing data.

Have you tried reaching him via his twitter account?