LapTimer unable to connect to Dual XPS150A

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
chadwick
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

LapTimer unable to connect to Dual XPS150A

Post by chadwick »

I just purchased a Dual XPS150A and upgraded it to the 1.2.3 firmware version from Dual. While LapTimer sees this device as available, it never actually connects and gets a fix.

What's really interesting is that Harry's GPS Buddy can find a fix on the same device, as well as Dual's own app.

I've tried a few things, including killing all GPS apps, removing the device from Bluetooth, rebooting, adding the device back in, and starting LapTimer - no difference.

This is the GA version of iOS 7.0 on an iPhone 5.

I can also get LapTimer to crash if I click on the magnifiying class on the Signal section of the GPS page. I'll send in a crash dump for that issue.

Any ideas?
Attachments
IMG_4728.png
IMG_4728.png (95.11 KiB) Viewed 3758 times
IMG_4726.png
IMG_4726.png (43.22 KiB) Viewed 3758 times
IMG_4727.png
IMG_4727.png (81.91 KiB) Viewed 3758 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LapTimer unable to connect to Dual XPS150A

Post by Harry »

Hi,

That is probably an incompatibility for iOS7 apps and the Dual / LapTimer. GPS Buddy is an iOS6 app and will get treated different by iOS7. I had exactly that pattern for the XGPS160 when turning it on while LapTimer is running and work on fixing this. I check the XGPS150 too but it didn't show the problem. Please try turning on the XGPS before starting LapTimer at all and let me know if you see a difference.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Btw, tested it for my XGPS150 (not A) and it works with iPhone5, iOS7 GA, and XGPS firmware 1.2.6.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Checked the crash log... This is directly related to the situation you have two GPS sensors "available" but not connected. Although the code checks all kinds of error conditions, it is obviously not completely save here.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
chadwick
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by chadwick »

Having the XPS running before starting LapTimer didn't seem to make a difference. I did notice in this case that the GPS light didn't start to flash/acquire until after LapTimer was started, but the software never seems to go past Available and into Connected.

I'll write a little native iOS7 app today to make sure it can talk to the XPS correctly with the native SDK version.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Don't spend too much time here, both Dual and I are working on this already. Having added some timing workaround my latest version even connects when the Dual is turned on while LapTimer is in foreground. But need some time to make it resilient.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
chadwick
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by chadwick »

I don't know if this tidbit would help, but I just tried the same scenario on my iPad 4th gen with GA iOS 7.0 and the XGPS150 shows up immediately without issue.
BMWLTW
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by BMWLTW »

I had a problem getting my iPad to connect to the xgps150. Then I realized that the xgps connected to the phone in my pocket. The 150 supports one device. Disconnected the phone and the iPad paired with the xgps150. For me, that's a good reason to get the xgps 160.
chadwick
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by chadwick »

Harry,

I don't know if this tidbit will help any, but experimenting today with a few different devices and accessories and I've noticed this: LapTimer on the iPhone 5 with 7.0 consistently will not connect to the Dual XGPS or the GoPoint BT1 that I have. However, on the same device, I can get GPS Buddy to connect to both. The XGPS is less reliable on the iPhone than on the iPad, where both accessories work every single time.

I've tried lots of experiments with different load orders, killing processes, etc. with no change in behavior.

Cheers,
Chad
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

GPS Buddy is an iOS6 app and treated differently by iOS7. I think I have found a workaround for the connection issues and will include it in the next bug fix release.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image