bug: lineal acceleration chart showing incorrectly

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
i-Zapp
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

bug: lineal acceleration chart showing incorrectly

Post by i-Zapp »

When i use the Recalculation feature to generate acceleration values based on GPS (required for a motorcycle application), there us a red vertical line that skews the chart and thus renders it useless. I've exported the data and found a "INVALIDG" value in the Lineal acceleration column. can this be fixed?

while i'm at it, i'm going to make another appeal for correcting the bug that requires that each lap to be recalculated for bike generated data - either the lean angle of the iPhone needs to be incorporated for calculating the true lateral acceleration, or there needs to be a setting that defaults the calculation to that mode (HLT should know that i'm ridign a motorbike via the vehicle setup).

guessign that the majority of the HLT users are car drivers, but dont forget the bike riders!
IMG_0464[1].PNG
IMG_0464[1].PNG (78.7 KiB) Viewed 4173 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: bug: lineal acceleration chart showing incorrectly

Post by Harry »

No, the opposite is the case! Bikers will see special support in v17.5's overlay - you will like it :-) For the above invalid value calculated, please first check if this effect can be repeated (i.e. recalculate again). In case it is reproducible, please export this individual lap to .hlptrl and send it to me (add a comment "longitudinal acceleration calculation bug". Thanks.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
i-Zapp
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by i-Zapp »

the recalcuation did not correct the blip. The file is attached. It would appear that there are two "0" distance rows at the start of the file, which would yield an error if the difference between the values is used in the divisor of the accel calculation.
When is the new release goign to be availalbe?
Attachments
LapTimer-0023-20130821-124410.hlptrz
lineal acceleration calculation bug
(15.54 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

One or two weeks, I will release a bug fix release 17.1.3

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Checked the calculation for the lap attached and it is indeed the two first fixes have the same time from start. Added a fix that will be part of v17.1.3. Thanks for reporting.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
i-Zapp
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by i-Zapp »

Harry wrote:Bikers will see special support in v17.5's overlay - you will like it :-)
- Harry
Harry i couldnt tell from the release notes if this "special support" made it into v17.5..... did it??? (fingers crossed)
specifically interested in lean angle correction for lateral acceleration.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Not all of it. 17.5 has a much improved lateral acceleration calculation needed to get lateral acceleration working for motorbikes. This will allow reasonable overlays in 17.5. The lean angle for motorbikes will arrive in version 18 (although demos are on youtube already).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
i-Zapp
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by i-Zapp »

So is lateral acceleration calculated now done using the accelerometer or still via GPS? It seems this support for motorbikes has been missing since I purchased this app in early spring. Was hoping it would been fixed/added by now. :(
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Lateral Acceleration is always *measured*, not calculated. The issue for motorbikes is that due to the lean angle it is always zero. So the workaround is *calculating* it from GPS using the Recalculate function in Lap Details. This function has received the improvement named above in 17.5. The thing deferred to 18 is the use of the lean angle overlay instead of the usual acceleration circle available now.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
i-Zapp
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by i-Zapp »

"measuring" acceleration would mean using the accelerometers - they actually measure that quantity. Using GPS coordinates requires differentiation of position (the measured quantity) and thus in my mind it is a calculation, which it appears is still the way it's being done (and therefore limited to the GPS coordinate acquisition rate). looking forward to v18. thank you- keep up the good work.