Overlay video with NULL Mulitcam Link

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
escottc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Overlay video with NULL Mulitcam Link

Post by escottc »

Video recording didn't appear to happen as expected. I had set the MultiCam Control Preset to Master thinking that format would make my GoPro video the main video. Is there anyway to correct the video so as to be able to place an overlay from the GoPoint and other information? Below is an image of screens.

In addition I believe my XGPS wasn't connected as I had thought which would explain the absence the lap information. The rest of the day it was tracking very well.

Thank you,
Scott
Attachments
HLP.jpg
HLP.jpg (248.01 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Overlay video with NULL Mulitcam Link

Post by Harry »

Yes, seems you had a drop out for GPS. Back to video: MultiCam presets have an effect on the MultiCam's resolution. I had a similar setting for the GoPro but it did not work reliantly. To use a GoPro video as the master, you need to transfer the video to the iPhone first. Please check the video documentation linked on www.gps-laptimer.de for the details. You can reorder videos linked to a lap by pressing "Edit" in Lap Details and moving videos up and down.

- Harry

P.S. The MultiCam link (null) is broken too. Please remove that link and establish the connection manually if you need it (again, "Edit" and "Add Video").
Image Image Image Image
escottc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by escottc »

Hello Harry,

thank you for the reply. I do have the video on the iPhone, but it doesn't appear on lap list due to the null. I tapped Edit, but do not see an option to change the link information. I've even reconnected the GoPro wireless and that hasn't helped as the pop-up message says to connect to multicam device to get details about the video.

I've been able to use autocross with multicam before and use VLC to change media information.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The link (null) is void and needs to be deleted anyway. You can't edit links, but delete and add new ones. On GoPro: you are aware you need to manually transfer GoPro videos?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
escottc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by escottc »

Harry,

Yes, I've transferred and tagged the videos before using VLC. However with the null value, as you already know, won't link the video once brought over to the iPhone Photo Library. I can still add the multicam://cloud/xxx-xxxxxxxx-xx, but not sure what to put there because it has the null value associated with the gopro video in Harrys Laptimer (HLT).

I would imagine that if I were to be able to place a value in HLT for the gopro video tag I could get it linked up.

So you know I set in Settings > MultiCam Control to MultiCam Preset to Master, of which, I usually set it to Picture In Picture. My thought process at the time was that if I set it this way I would only record video through the gopro so as to not use my iphone for recording any video. The track marshals do not allow a suction cup, which I would have used to hold my iphone and I had hoped to only use the gopro as the video main source.

One thing I've noticed is that there was only one video taken, but there are multiple laps listed with nan values. The laps listed with the gopro video number in the teens. I had thought that each lap would register its own video. Being the first time I've ever been on a race track (I've used it before at autocross events and its works great) it might be that I'm just seeing this for the first time since I was at a real race track.

I honestly haven't thoroughly read the video document, but from what I've explained could you tell me if the video a loss, for overlaying, due to user error or can it be rescued for ODB II input overlays?

Thanks again for your patience as I know you have actual race car drivers to tend to. BTW, I try to tell everyone about your App because there is probably nothing else like it. Or at least I have no interest in any other, especially since your support is bar none.

Side note: Can I do anything to help for integration using gopro? I'd be happy to email them that the only reason I purchased the gopro was to use it with HLT. Although I could see they wouldn't be too happy with that due to them also selling the view finder gadget that attaches to the gopro itself cutting into their sales.

Thanks,
Scott
escottc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by escottc »

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

escottc wrote: Yes, I've transferred and tagged the videos before using VLC. However with the null value, as you already know, won't link the video once brought over to the iPhone Photo Library. I can still add the multicam://cloud/xxx-xxxxxxxx-xx, but not sure what to put there because it has the null value associated with the gopro video in Harrys Laptimer (HLT).
Wrong path. It seems there have been issues while recording. The session video on your GoPro worked but both the links to the raw session video (null) and actual times (nan) in LapTimer were not stored correctly. Maybe there has been a problem with GPS reception or so... Links to MultiCam videos (both iOS and GoPro) are a convenience approach and hold both the raw session video's identity (multicam://) and the lap's syncPoint within the video. As you get a (null), you can delete the link altogether - it is void anyway. The correct way to relink is to add the GoPro session video from scratch: in any lap included in your big session video not showing "nan", enter Lap Details. Press "Edit" and a) remove the void links b) add the GoPro video ("Add Video"). LapTimer will ask you to select the lap's end within the video - which is exactly the step I wanted to make more convenient by introducing the GoPro MultiCam support. In your case, you need to go through the process.
escottc wrote: One thing I've noticed is that there was only one video taken, but there are multiple laps listed with nan values. The laps listed with the gopro video number in the teens. I had thought that each lap would register its own video. Being the first time I've ever been on a race track (I've used it before at autocross events and its works great) it might be that I'm just seeing this for the first time since I was at a real race track.
LapTimer records one video per session, and multiple laps per session. Overlaying extracts the lap's portion from the session video and adds lap data recordings. But that's exactly what is described in LapTimer's wonderful video documentation ;-)

Hope that help,

Harry
Image Image Image Image
escottc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by escottc »

Unfortunately all laps show nan. Oh well, I plan to go back soon. At least I have the regular video which is good enough for the first time out. Thanks for the help and attention Harry.

- Scott
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Oh, that's odd... I assume they do not show recorded data either (i.e. show a track plot in Lap Details)? In case they do not, please delete them an run a database check (Lap List bottom). In case they do, please export them to hlptrl and send the file to me.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
escottc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by escottc »

Below is a DropBox link for Day export file. If you need something different, like an export for session, just let me know. Thanks Harry.

- Scott

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2cf1y54h8i13 ... hlptrz.zip