Accelerometer resets while driving? "won't charge" popup?

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
toysareforboys
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Accelerometer resets while driving? "won't charge" popup?

Post by toysareforboys »

I noticed if I pull a tall wheelie on my motorcycle, or set it down extra hard, HLT seems to reset the accelerometer sync, so that for the rest of that session the accelerometer is off :( I happened to look down one time and saw for a split second a popup from HLT saying "calibration automatically reset" or something. How can I prevent this? I have my iPod screen rotation locked, and before every session I have to rotate it, let HLT sync accelerometer, rotate it back, let HLT sync again. Then go out and ride and HOPE it doesn't reset while I'm out there :(

Also, twice yesterday I got the message on my iPod "charging is not supported with this accessory". When that pops up it appears to PAUSE HLT so that it's not recording any data!! Once I click "dismiss" HLT continues on like normal. Luckily both times I noticed this so I only missed a few laps of data. Any ideas? When I got back to the pits I checked the iPod and it was fully charged/charging, all the connections were tight.

I'm using this as the power supply: http://www.bigbikeparts.com/Inventory/N ... catalogNo= with the microUSB cable that was included with the UltiMate adapter (it locks into the Ultimate, no chance of it coming loose).

Let me know please and thanks :)

-Jamie M.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Accelerometer resets while driving? "won't charge" popup

Post by Harry »

Hi,

There is an automatic recalibration included from a "calibration health check" LapTimer is running regularly. Seems it misinterprets the situation... Are you driving while you pull these wheelies, are is it when starting in the pits (i.e. when standing)? Please try the calculation of acceleration from Lap Details, the values are not nice for 5 Hz GPSes, but better than nothing.

On the message: this is from iOS when it has connection problem. It us not possible to mute it from within an app, it simply interrupts processing.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
toysareforboys
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by toysareforboys »

Harry wrote:Are you driving while you pull these wheelies, are is it when starting in the pits (i.e. when standing)?
I don't understand your question. When I fire up HLT my bike is parked in the pits, flat and level (in a front wheel chock). I triple click the home button to bring up the accessibility dot, click screen rotation, rotate it some direction, HLT says it'll recalibrate because of rotation, when it's done that I rotate it back, it does the recalibration again, boom, perfect.

When out on the track I'll pull a wheelie usually down the front straight up to 200kph. If I get the front tire up too high, or set the front tire down extra hard it'll usually cause the auto re-calibration :(

Here's an example (but it didn't reset on this one):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uExCuK0XhAQ[/youtube]

-Jamie M.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

O.k. wheely while driving... I will check. Have you set the expert setting "block rotation above" to a value of 30 or lower?

Harry
Image Image Image Image
toysareforboys
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by toysareforboys »

Harry wrote:O.k. wheely while driving... I will check. Have you set the expert setting "block rotation above" to a value of 30 or lower?
No, I did not know there was a block rotation option in expert settings :) So what value should I set it at? I always use the accessibility thing to rotate the screen 180 degrees then back again, so what'd be the the best number to set it to, so that it blocks rotation of anything less than a full 180 degrees?

-Jamie M.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Just a thought, in case you set it too high, LapTimer is allowed to reset calibration at higher speeds. So the 30 default is what you want.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
toysareforboys
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by toysareforboys »

Harry wrote:Just a thought, in case you set it too high, LapTimer is allowed to reset calibration at higher speeds. So the 30 default is what you want.
Can I set it to 0 so that HLT never tries to reset the calibration? Ever? Would be nice to have a toggle for that in the options, disable ALL auto resync and there be a big button on the start driving menu that says "sync accelerometer now" and that's it, never ever again automatically.

Got this again today, while my bike was sitting still and not even moving! :(

I guess I'll try a different USB power supply and go from there.

-Jamie M.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That make no difference currently. I think there is a kind of bug allowing LapTimer to recalibrate while on track. I'm sure you were faster than 30 km/h when this happened!

Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Are the calibration health check and screen rotation linked? As I said before, I would very much like an option to turn off the calibration health check and not have to recalibrate after going into lock mode or switching applications if I haven't moved the device.