Problem with GoPro Video

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Maxx-R32
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Problem with GoPro Video

Post by Maxx-R32 »

This past weekend I used Laptimer with a GoPro Hero3 Black - Laptiomer triggered the video recording and stopped it just fine. However, on the GoPro itself there was only 1 very large video that can not be viewed and importing procedures fail with QuickTime and iMovie. On the Windows side I tried copying the video local and several players would not play footage. I shot smaller videos just using Laptimer stationary and it also engaged the GoPro and the 15 second video was perfectly viewable.

I made sure the GoPro was updated before the event and shot video and stills to make sure all was well after firmware update.

Is there any way to salvage the video from the GoPro?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem with GoPro Video

Post by Harry »

Can't help here. Maybe you had set a special video format for the GoPro - one that is difficult to process to iTunes / Photo app? LapTimer just starts / stops recording for the GoPro, it does not change modes for the GoPro, and it cannot influence storage. The big video is o.k. on the other hand. LapTimer records session videos both on the iPhone, and it start / stops the GoPro accordingly. Lap boundaries are used for overlaid video only.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
karacticus
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by karacticus »

I'm working through the process of pulling the gopro video into HLT for overlay after last weekend at Mid-Ohio. Haven't succeeded yet, but I'm working through the documentation before I throw in the towel and ask for specific help.

One question though, gopro writes an additional file once 2 gigs of data have gone by from the initial start of recording. As the lap I'm working on is covered in the initial 2 gigs, I'm not worrying about that right now. Can I get away with that in this case, or do I need to run the concurrent files together through an editing program first.

Sold at least one copy of HLT for you over the weekend too!
Maxx-R32
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Maxx-R32 »

With some internet searching I was able to deduce that there seems to be a problem working with GoPro files that are over 2Gbs. My file was just over 3.5 and was all sorts of crazy. I did manage to find a way to sort of recover video but the viewable result is not really useable.

I was wondering a couple things in light of this hiccup:
1. Is it possible to manually record with the GoPro and still overlay in HLT?

2. Why would the GoPro, presumably receiving start stop triggers from HLT, mash all the recorded sessions into 1 file? I know your not GoPro support but thought I'd ask.

My possible solution to the issue is to buy some smaller memory cards and swap them out between sessions. I only have a single GoPro and it's in-car so this would not be a difficult step if it comes to that.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

1. Yes, any time. You can compose any footage you bring over to your iPhone. The downside is you will not get support aligning lap recordings with the video attached. LapTimer will present a filmstrip you need to select the lap's end manually. To edit the videos linked to a lap, goto Lap List, select the lap you want to overlay, press Edit and add, remove, or move videos as you like.
  2. Video recording is always done per session, not per lap. This is independent whether you use the internal cam or the GoPro. The reason is neither of these cams is able to stop a video and start another without losing (lots of) frames.
- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Maxx-R32
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Maxx-R32 »

Thank you.

I will have to run some numbers and maybe go lower quality on the video. Going to need to test before next time I am out.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

karacticus wrote:One question though, gopro writes an additional file once 2 gigs of data have gone by from the initial start of recording.
Just asked myself if this is a limitation from your SD card's file system? If I recall right, FAT16 is limited to 2 or 4 GB files... Maybe you try a different file system type?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
escottc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by escottc »

Hello all,

GoPro video didn't need conversion since it was MP4 so I went ahead and used VLC to edit the video file information. I've synced the video to the iPhone and it plays the files. However I think these videos need to be loaded to iCloud, and not the Video App, so to work with HLT. If that is correct, as to why I'm not seeing the multicam video on the Laps List in HLT, how do I get the videos onto iCloud? Note: HLT and Multicam settings are connecting and auto updating as they should.

Thanks,
Scott
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi Scott,

You need to sync the GoPro video to the Photo app, not iCloud. You sync to the iPhone's Photo app by configuring the respective settings in the Photo (not Video) tab in iTunes.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
escottc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by escottc »

Oops, thanks.