In App upgrade on iPhone not reflected on iPad

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
magicaltrevor
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

In App upgrade on iPhone not reflected on iPad

Post by magicaltrevor »

I upgraded my iPhone app from PetrolHead to Grand Prix and this upgraded as expected. However, I installed v17 on my iPad and I can only install the Petrolhead version and it appears like I need to pay again to upgrade it.

I'm hoping that at the final stage it says that's I've already paid for it but I don't fancy risking it as it'll cost me £6.99.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: In App upgrade on iPhone not reflected on iPad

Post by Harry »

Hi,

I had a similar report already. Please run through the following steps:
  1. Start AppStore app on your iPad mini
  2. Make sure you have the same iTunes ID active like on your iPhone
  3. Select "Updates"
  4. Select "Purchased"
Load only apps you see here - all others will be charged. In case you do not see the app edition as expected, you may have upgraded a Rookie edition to your Petrolhead before? In this case, load the Rookie to your iPad, and repeat the upgrades.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
johmei
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by johmei »

I upgraded the Petrol Head version to Grand Prix on my iPhone 4. Then misunderstood how the update worked, so I bought the Grand Prix version on my iPad mini and now I have both Apps with the same features. HLT is the most appreciated app in my iDevices so the cost is fine by me, too bad Apple takes a third of the revenue.
BMW 335i E92 - iPhone 6 paired with Dual XGPS150A as HLT master, Optrix XD5 cased iPhone 5 and Optrix HD cased iPhone 4 as multicams.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Please ask Apple for a refund as you purchased the app instead of the InApp purchase upgrade. Google for "refund AppStore" to find "how to" descriptions. That worked for two other clients already. From my point of view the 30% are fine by the way! They include VAT (somewhere between 10 and 20% depending on the country) and allow me to offer the app worldwide without too much effort. I think it's a great platform and worth it :-)

Harry
Image Image Image Image
spunkt81
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by spunkt81 »

I have a similar question.

I bought Laptimer Standard and upgraded to Professional.
After updating my iPhone to version 17 Laptimer upgraded automatically to Petrolhead Edition.
Unfortunatelly my iPad didnt upgrade. Just Rookie Edition. Is it possible to upgrade inApp without being charged again?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, just load the Petrolhead Upgrade, you will not be charged a second time.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
spunkt81
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by spunkt81 »

worked fine. Thanks Harald.
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

I've had problems also.
Have just been billed by apple for an upgrade to Grand Prix from Petrolhead.
I had Petrolhead on my iPhone and trainer on the iPad
I cannot remember which, but one upgrade worked the other didn't!
I went through the in app purchase/upgrade routine thinking this would pull the upgrade down foc.
I am right in assuming that any app will be allowed to run on any associated idevice? Therefore, the Trainer should upgrade to Grand Prix, and be useable on the iPhone and iPad?
I now have Grand Prix on the iphone, Petrolhead on the 3GS brought out of hibernation to try multicam, on the iPad I have 2 copies of Grand Prix.
It may be helpful to have the icon for each app to be specific, showing the relevant helmet, and the not generic timer/flag icon.
I'll try Apple for a refund, but if it doesn't work, you're wselcome to it Harry, this app is worth every penny, only real problem is I don't get chance to use it enough!
h
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

That is actually something one may name an "anachronism". As you had both Professional and Trainer and both apps are for both iPhone and iPad now, you can completely migrate to the Trainer / Grand Prix copy. The whole Pro + Upgrade just doubles the functionality you get from the "pure" Trainer / Grand Prix now.

I will expand the description for users like you.

As every user should have exactly one edition he/she is working with, the icon differentiation should not be necessary. I made them all the same to allow the exactly same functionality *and* appearance for both initial GP buyers, and upgraders. You maybe will not believe but I had several upgraders that were unhappy with still getting a standard icon for an upgraded standard edition :-)

Sorry for the confusion, but I have simply no better approach. If I would start from scratch today, I'd present only one app on AppStore - upgradeable to Petrolhead and Grand Prix. I cannot switch to this mode on the other hand as this would brake updates for existing Pro / Petrolhead and Trainer / GP users. There is no way to tell the AppStore to e.g. treat LapTimer Petrolhead users like LapTimer Rookie + Petrolhead Upgrade users, or vice versa. And there is no way to issue upgrades for an app that is not on AppStore any more.

On your question whether it is o.k. to install LapTimer Grand Prix on more than one devices: yes, that is fine as long as it is operated by the same user (and registered using the same ID).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

Thanks Harry for the prompt reply, as ever.
And yes, all on one account!
h
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM