Chopping up lap in approx 12 s pieces with Dual XGPS 160

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
A_Möller
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Chopping up lap in approx 12 s pieces with Dual XGPS 160

Post by A_Möller »

I've used iPhone + Dual XGPS 160 for several years and suddenly it doesn't work. It chops up the lap in roughly 12 s pieces. It is on an airfield track, Ljungbyhed (Sweden) with good signal and about 10 GPS + 10 GNS satellites received. I updated the firmware on the Dual, but no improvement. I then switched to the iPhone internal GPS receiver and for some laps the same thing happened, but for most it worked. Talked to another Harrys user, with no external devices and he was fine. Another guy had issues and stopped using Harrys.

I attach some screen dumps.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_4a67.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4a67.jpeg (328.71 KiB) Viewed 474 times
fullsizeoutput_4a65.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4a65.jpeg (380.54 KiB) Viewed 474 times
fullsizeoutput_4a66.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4a66.jpeg (381.82 KiB) Viewed 474 times
A_Möller
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Chopping up lap in approx 12 s pieces with Dual XGPS 160

Post by A_Möller »

And another picture ..
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_4a68.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4a68.jpeg (213.86 KiB) Viewed 473 times
A_Möller
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by A_Möller »

Any clue about what could be wrong?

I have been there twice the last two week and will go there again tomorrow, so a new chance to sort out the problem.
A_Möller
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by A_Möller »

It seems like I solved the issue today. 3/4 of the track day spent on this. At least three tracks existed in the App, whereof one was a different track layout and the other two were the same but one were kind of obsolete and didn't show up in the list of selectable tracks, but for some reason Harrys recognized the POI's since I had used it many times before. First after I had erased 127 laps from the obsolete set of POI's and restarted the app (again..), then it started to record.

What I described above seems to be the result of the logging jumping between different sets of POI's, even though I had selected the valid one (Ljungbyhed Track Day), not the old one (Ljungbyhed), I found a lot of "patches" recorded last week on the non-selected Track, as well as for the selected.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That's a misunderstanding on who actually "selects" the track set used. It is LapTimer, not you. When loading a track set, you make it available for LapTimer, you do not select it. Once you drive, LapTimer will switch to whatever trigger's track set it passes. This is the reason why overlapping configuration are shown as conflicts and will disturb LapTimer operation. LapTimer will switch between track sets all the time and probably leave you with segments like yours.

So what is actually designed as something that should improve resilience of LapTimer operation (auto switching instead of sticking with a wrong track set), turns to the opposite when ignoring the conflict warning.

So in case you drive a track with multiple configuration, purge all other POIs for triggers not used currently. The easiest way is to reload the configuration driven. Once LapTimer warns you of a conflict, allow it to purge the other configuration's POIs. You will not loose lap data, it is just the track definition.

Please let your peer group know about this too.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
A_Möller
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by A_Möller »

Thanks Harry, that explains a lot.

I think i need to read your reply a few times to really understand how to deal with it, but interesting is that the only guy who didn’t experience any problem was someone who hadn’t driven their a few years back when another POI set was standard.

I think i need to understand 1) How to realise that this problem exists (readiness not green!?) 2) what to dobin which sequence 3) What to do when a certain message pops up.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Actually there are two scenarios:

#1 users driving multiple tracks with a single configuration each: just load all the tracks you drive and let LapTimer do the selection work
#2 users driving multiple configurations of a single track: load the configuration driven ahead of your track day; let LapTimer purge all other configurations when asked

- Harry
Image Image Image Image