Any tips on accesories (GPS, OBD) for iPhone 5 users?

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
Scott231
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Any tips on accesories (GPS, OBD) for iPhone 5 users?

Post by Scott231 »

Hi Harry,

Question from a longtime user and fan who just upgraded to an iPhone 5.

I've used the Tom Tom GPS antenna in the past and was just about to buy an OBD setup when the iPhone 5 came with the new connector and shape (won't fit in the Tom Tom even with Apple's connecter adapter).

Any thoughts on options for us iPhone 5 users? I expect the best answer is to be patient and see how accessory manufacturers respond, but thought I'd see what you've found to date.

Thank you,
Scott
2008 Chevrolet Corvette
1987 Buick Grand National (10.22@ 131 running E85)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any tips on accesories (GPS, OBD) for iPhone 5 users?

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Currently, it seems for iPhone5s a BT combination is the best choice: Dual XGPS150 + gopoint BT1 OBD
I do not fell completely comfortable with two devices sharing available bandwidth, but that's the best option currently. Personally, I like a GPS dongle attached to the device better as I do not need to load another device separately.

But probably you need to be patient :-) and wait for great things to come.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
mr_hyde
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by mr_hyde »

I didn't by an iMac back in the late '90s because the stupid thing had that funny little port that didn't fit my printer. In fact, I didn't have ANYTHING that fit that port. What was it called? Oh yeah... USB. My old serial plug was just fine thank you! :lol:
lisocayman
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by lisocayman »

I'd love to hear results with 2 BT devices connected. I already have the BT1 and have a new iPhone 5. Waiting to pull the trigger on the Dual
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dubbedown »

Harry wrote:Hi,

Currently, it seems for iPhone5s a BT combination is the best choice: Dual XGPS150 + gopoint BT1 OBD
I do not fell completely comfortable with two devices sharing available bandwidth, but that's the best option currently. Personally, I like a GPS dongle attached to the device better as I do not need to load another device separately.

But probably you need to be patient :-) and wait for great things to come.

- Harry
Agree with Harry but having done both, the dongle and Dual XGPS150, I prefer the latter. The dongle limits some of your mounting options, whereas having a wireless antenna allows you to install the antenna away from the phone (or the phone doesnt need to be by the windshield). My current IP5 setup is XGPS & BT1, both work great.
Scott231
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Scott231 »

Bump for Christmas ideas. :)
2008 Chevrolet Corvette
1987 Buick Grand National (10.22@ 131 running E85)
Yellowjacketboss302
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Yellowjacketboss302 »

XGPS is supposed to allow a 5 hz refresh rate. What is the XGPS refresh rate and the BT1 refresh rate when both are connected via bluetooth?
Would this be slower than using the Kiwi Wifi? I am using the Kiwi now, but find that the connection is not always stable.
Thanks Harry.
-- Jim
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That cannot be answered as the OBD update rate is extremely dependent on the car's bus speed. The BT1 is currently a bit slower than the Kiwi but I work with gopoint on parallel request capabilities that will probably boost performance far beypnd. I doubt BT bandwidth is the limiting factor, but that's speculation...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Yellowjacketboss302
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Yellowjacketboss302 »

Thanks Harry.
In your experience is the BT1 connection more stable than the Kiwi?
Also, would there be any advantage or disadvantage to using the GT1 over the BT1?
Thanks.
- Jim
Defiant
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Defiant »

Hi Harry,

Great product! I purchased the XGPS150A since you so highly recommended it. I like that it's BT. The issue is it's only showing up as 1.0hz!

On the website they say it updates at least once a second. Is there some setting I'm missing? Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://xgps150.dualav.com/how-it-works.html