Which devices?

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
Mr. Pockets
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Which devices?

Post by Mr. Pockets »

Good afternoon,

I have seen Harry's page on compatibility with external devices. I see that there are a couple recommended setups. What I'm wondering is what the differences might be, however minute, between these two options for my iPhone 4S:

GoPoint GL1 + Dual XGPS150 (direct-connect OBDII, Bluetooth GPS)

GoPoint BT1 + Emprum UltiMate (Bluetooth OBDII, direct-connect GPS)

Both solutions seem to offer me the ability to keep the phone plugged in to power. Why would I pick one over the other? The former is $25 cheaper, so I'm tempted to go that route unless anybody can give me a good reason not to.

I realize this post is a bit of a duplicate of the other one I posted in the OBDII forum. I decided the question I wanted answered was a bit more broad. I apologize for the redundancy.

Thanks,
Nick
STiFTW
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Which devices?

Post by STiFTW »

I went with this solution and am very happy
GoPoint BT1 + Emprum UltiMate (Bluetooth OBDII, direct-connect GPS)
Just an FYI, the iPhone 4S CAN be synched with 2 bluetooth devices at the same time ... not well documented but it works. There may be an exception with A2DP devices, but that's a whole different area.
Mr. Pockets
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Mr. Pockets »

I did not know that. Honestly, that sounds like I'd be asking for trouble. I like the idea of only having one wireless device. The question I have is which one of those two is better. If there's nothing to choose between them. I'll go for the cheaper of the two routes.

Thanks,
Nick
Mr. Pockets
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Mr. Pockets »

As a followup, I went with the first option - a direct-connected OBDII interface and the Bluetooth XGPS150A.

The GL1 was tricky to get to work at first. There's a sheet of paper in the box that I didn't find at first that says you have to reboot the phone before the cable will work. They're not kidding. Also, the GL1 has a power circuit that prevents a connection when the car is shut off. So, even though the OBDII bus is always hot, it will not always charge the phone. I did not have any power problems in my first day of running, though.

My iPhone 4S will not connect to both the XGPS150A and my Bluetooth hands-free device at the same time. I get to use one or the other. Dual says this is expected behavior. It's a shame; I wanted to answer phone calls while I'm on the track. ;)

At any rate, I am happy with the choices I made. The devices worked well at my first event. HLP's GPS screen claims the Dual XGPS150A gets me a consistent 3-5ft accuracy.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks Mr. Pockets for the feedback!

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dubbedown »

Mr. Pockets wrote:
My iPhone 4S will not connect to both the XGPS150A and my Bluetooth hands-free device at the same time. I get to use one or the other. Dual says this is expected behavior. It's a shame; I wanted to answer phone calls while I'm on the track. ;)
Is the dual issue with only a hands-free (microphone) or any 2 BT devices? I was hoping to run the XGPS150A in conjunction with the GoPoint BT1...
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

There are several reports the XGPS150 and the BT1 work in parallel. So this seems to be a special incompatibility.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
dasams
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by dasams »

Harry wrote:There are several reports the XGPS150 and the BT1 work in parallel.
I've just ordered an XGPS150A and a BT1 and they'll be delivered on Thu. I'll report back how it turns out. Dave
09 Carrera S - Black, 6 sp, Carrera red full leather with deviating black, adaptives, navi, XM, etc
06 Cayenne S - Crystal silver, air suspension, bi-xenon, navi, sirius, etc
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks Dave.
Image Image Image Image
dasams
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by dasams »

dasams wrote:
Harry wrote:I've just ordered an XGPS150A and a BT1 and they'll be delivered on Thu. I'll report back how it turns out.
I've been using the BT1 for the past week an it's been flawless. The XGPS-105A arrived today and I was able to connect via bluetooth simultaneously with the BT1. However, the GPS rate is 1 Hz instead of the expected 5 Hz. I'm trying to check for a firmware update but the site is down as the following link returns a 404 error: http://xgps150.dualav.com/firmwarenew.html. I'll be a little surprised if I need to update the firmware since it'd been available since May (OTOH, 1 Hz may be the default to conserve the battery). Dave
09 Carrera S - Black, 6 sp, Carrera red full leather with deviating black, adaptives, navi, XM, etc
06 Cayenne S - Crystal silver, air suspension, bi-xenon, navi, sirius, etc