Race Capture Pro

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
rkanaga
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Race Capture Pro

Post by rkanaga »

Hi, apologies if this has been asked before but I can't quite find the answer.

I have HLT with a Dual XGPS 160 and a GoPro Hero 4.

I would like to add some additional data (steering angle, rpm, brake pressure to start with, possibly also throttle position and wheel speed later. As my car does not have access to OBD II data (non standard ECU's) I am thinking the the best way to do this is with an Autosport Labs RaceCapture and then add some sensors.

My question is, which version of the RaceCapture would you recommend and how does it connect to HLT on my iPhone via it's built in bluetooth?

For sensors I was going to go with an Aim string potentiometer for steering, but do you have any recommendations for the others?

Thank you very much.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Race Capture Pro

Post by Harry »

Hello,

I cannot comment too much for the LapTimer side. Actually we are using an older Pro 2 with iOS. It came with a WiFi interface. As long as Austosport Labs does not certify devices by Apple's made for iPhone (Mfi) program, it is not possible to connect a RCP to iOS by Bluetooth SPP.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
rkanaga
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by rkanaga »

Thank you, yes I see the limitation with IOS and bluetooth.

Just to check though, If I buy a RaceCapture Pro and set it up with some sensors (eg steering angle, rpm, brake pressure, tyre temp) and link it to my iPhone with WiFi, I will be able to use that data to create overlays in HLT? That sounds just what I want.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In general - yes. As the RCP devices are highly configurable, you may need to tweak its output so it matches LapTimer's requirements. Actually I haven't tested the integration for a while. You can find a dated - and most probably outdated FAQ on RCPs here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4244
Image Image Image Image