Optimal GPS and Engine Data (CAN/OBD) - for CHEAP!

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
dookie454
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Optimal GPS and Engine Data (CAN/OBD) - for CHEAP!

Post by dookie454 »

Working with Harry and Renato, they have come up with an ultimate cost effective solution. To me, it seems like the perfect solution as long as you can tinker, solder, figure out minimal code and Arduino with ESP32. Everything else out there is simply overpriced, and doesn't really work that well, to be honest.

I've run a few different GPS setups all current $100-200 price range (no names), annoyed by every one, either they don't work, stop working, not reliable, or give large error in GPS accuracy, etc. Same with the OBD adapters, I have a $100 adapter, just cant get data faster than 1-2x a second, and missing required channels. I don't have that problem with these devices! No joke.

Pay close attention to data update and timing. Very good! The best I've seen in HLT, perfect, I would say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTpEsmIM4Bg

10hz GPS updates, very accurate, and 20hz OBD updates. MPH is GPS based in this example. Look at that response! I've checked the data for interpolation, and there really isnt any. Data is very consistent, no dropouts or delays.
GPS Code is here: https://github.com/renatobo/bonogps

Engine data is processed from OBDII using the ESP32, with Renato's CAN Ducati code, I've since modified this code for generic GM/OBDII use: https://github.com/renatobo/DucatiPanigaleCanBus

It's good stuff, well worth the investment and time. It's very reliable using my Iphone 11 Pro. So reliable, that I put these in 2 separate vehicles, the GPS and OBD devices have the same BLE names for each set, so all I have to do is get in the car, open Laptimer, and BAM. Connected to both GPS and CAN/OBD. No restarting of Iphone, Laptimer, or the devices themselves! I've run this combo in each car, for weeks, and they all just work. Pretty crazy, I know. I have a third set in the house, on my test bench.. all I do is power up the devices, and Laptimer connects!

I have since added a 2.8" TFT display for the engine data, this is more advanced, but simply added to the existing code supplied by Renato, his code did not have to be modified in any way for the TFT to work. It shows special GM mode 22, things like Spark Knock, EGO/WBO2, high res ABS wheel speed, etc. Also includes a Knock Alarm, Knock History (currently holds max knock for 10s after peak value) and includes AEM X-Series EGO data, etc. With all of this, data is still sending to HLT at 20hz. Nice job Renato! Very efficient and compatible code that works with even the TFT add on. There's a lot going on with the CANbus code, and it works perfectly. There is nothing on the market that can display custom CAN/OBD data on your dash, while sending that same data to HLT, all of this from one device. It just doesn't exist.

Basically, need
1) GPS: $10-30 (in the Github Links)
2) ESP32 for GPS: $5 (in Renato's Github Links)
3) ESP32 for GPS: $5 (in Renato's Github Links)
4) Optional TFT for Engine data display: $10-15 (not in Github links, either setup yourself, or I'll get my code shareable in github)

Video in the above link, also here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTpEsmIM4Bg
Picture of the TFT display, below... it updates at about 10hz, data comes in at about 20hz, all of those channels at once - also much better than any of the big name OBD data display companies! I have that triggering an Alarm beyond 2.0deg Knock Retard, and holds the peak knock value for 10seconds so you can see it safely, after your off the throttle. Ethanol percent, pretty much anything you can think of can be added. I have it using a touch button to set idle to 1200rpm for times when you dont want to sit idling for long, like warmup or track staging lanes, idling is generally bad for a modified engines. I had it setup to turn on cooling fans, still plan to include that as a second touch button, but removed for now.
TFT.JPG
TFT.JPG (185.55 KiB) Viewed 4522 times
TopSpeed
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Optimal GPS and Engine Data (CAN/OBD) - for CHEAP!

Post by TopSpeed »

Sounds like an awesome project, thanks for sharing your work.
Did you upload it to github? I would love to copy this for my own use.

How did you get it to rise the idle speed?
tdott
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tdott »

Would like to try this but my concern would be OBD data from my E92 M3, I use GoPoint OBD dongle and the update rate isn't as good and the video overlay it is fairly clear that something is lagging behind as the throttle position doesn't match the video sound like yours does.

BMW also uses a different PID or something for Oil Temps so I could never get that to log and custom PIDs seem impossible to setup without knowing all the math equations to parse the data.
PitrsRS
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by PitrsRS »

tdott wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:38 pm Would like to try this but my concern would be OBD data from my E92 M3, I use GoPoint OBD dongle and the update rate isn't as good and the video overlay it is fairly clear that something is lagging behind as the throttle position doesn't match the video sound like yours does.

BMW also uses a different PID or something for Oil Temps so I could never get that to log and custom PIDs seem impossible to setup without knowing all the math equations to parse the data.
Hi, maybe it´s not a problem with OBD dongle but with the phone. Since I got Samsung Galaxy S9+ I have big issues with OBD (laging for example) which I don´t have on other phones like Galaxy S6, Huawei P20 lite etc. I´ve contacted manufacturer of the OBD and they know about this issue and there is no solution for it, only to use different phone. Try different device first.
2016 SEAT Leon CUPRA 290 ST

HLT Grand Prix (Android) + OBDLink LX BT + XGPS160 + GoPro 11 Black + GoPro 7 Black
tdott
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tdott »

PitrsRS wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:34 am
Hi, maybe it´s not a problem with OBD dongle but with the phone. Since I got Samsung Galaxy S9+ I have big issues with OBD (laging for example) which I don´t have on other phones like Galaxy S6, Huawei P20 lite etc. I´ve contacted manufacturer of the OBD and they know about this issue and there is no solution for it, only to use different phone. Try different device first.
Thanks maybe I can give that a try, but I've had the issue for years with an older iPhone 4S, now with a iPhone 6S. Interesting that you had better results with an older phone vs the newer S9+.

My OBD dongle is the iOS version and i've switched to Android now so I don't think ill be buying another iPhone to try it out on. Perhaps I find a newer OBD solution since the GoPoint is 6+ years old and probably due for an upgrade, I think which is what peaked my interest about your solution and then perhaps ill use my main Android phone for laptiming duties.