Multiple apps accesses OBD [Andriod]

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
HSV Guy
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Multiple apps accesses OBD [Andriod]

Post by HSV Guy »

Is it possible for Harry's Lap Timer and another app (such as Torque) to access OBD data at the same time (on an android device using Bluetooth)?

I'd like to use Torque to log temperatures but also have the additional OBD data being collected by HLT at the same time but not sure if this is possible.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Multiple apps accesses OBD [Andriod]

Post by Harry »

Hello,

No, that's not possible. OBD adapters are so called exclusive resources connecting to one app at a time only. Besides the result your scenario doesn't work, it is one of the most frequent issues I get reports on: all OBD apps (including Torque) I know do not close the connection to the OBD adapter when sent to background. This means they block LapTimer from accessing the OBD adapter - it is simply not visible and accessible for LapTimer. The other way around, you will never see Torque having connection issues when LapTimer is sent to background: LapTimer releases all resources locked when sent to background and allows other apps to access them instead.

Sometimes I ask myself if it pays out to be a good citizen... :-(

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
HSV Guy
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by HSV Guy »

Thanks Harry - great support as always.

HLT already reports Coolant, Oil and Intake temps. I would like to also get my automatic transmission fluid temps. Having a more detailed look at the settings I can setup custom PIDs so I should be able to do everything I want from within HLT itself.

Using torque I could apparently get this data by setting up a custom PID with the below values:
PID: 2182
Long Name: Transmission Fluid Temperature 1
Short Name: Trans temp
Minimum Value: 0.0
Maximum value: 300.0
Scale factor: x1
Unit Type: °F
Equation (in ­C): (((((A*256)+B) * (7/100) – 400)/10) - 32) * (5/9)
OBD Header to use: left blank
How would this be setup in HLT and how would I get this to be graphed in one of the Data Recording tabs (such as Coolant Temperature chart)?

Code: Select all

Channel: OBD Standar [OBD $011C] ??
ECU: All ??
Mode: 1 ??
PID: 2182
Request Frequency: High
Formula: (((((A*256)+B) * (7/100) – 400)/10)  - 32) * (5/9)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

You can map transmission fluid temps to the catalyst temperature channel. This will allow you to monitor this channel with the current version. LapTimer has only the four named temperature slots available currently. In think the custom PID mentioned is Mode $21 and PID $82. The formula is looking o.k. Request Frequency should be low for all temperatures - they will not change rapidly. Custom PIDs usually need to address a specific ECU. Try ECM (engine) or TCM (transmission).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
HSV Guy
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by HSV Guy »

Thanks, that seems to have worked. Would it be correct to assume that if I wanted to have the ATF temp logged I'd have to map it to one of the three temp sensors that gets logged/recorded (being Oil, coolant and air intake - but not the cat temp)?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, I have forgotten this...
Image Image Image Image
HSV Guy
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by HSV Guy »

Ok, so I'm not sure if I actually got it working last night or not. I thought I got it to work once, but ever since then if I set the Channel to anything but None I get the warning saying that the 'OBD Update Rate' isn't at an expected speed and the only date I get is the voltage and fuel tank %. The only way to fix this seems to be to delete the dongle in HLT and then re-add it (restarting the phone and/or car doesn't seem to fix it).

I thought I did have it reading the ATF temp into the Cat channel once yesterday though. Any thoughts?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In case you get voltage and 50% fuel only, the dialog between app / adapter / car is not working - which means there is a problem with the custom PID settings. Please head to the Debugging OBD Connections FAQ here on the forum and create a log.

Harry
Image Image Image Image