DIY data collection

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
frdfsnlght
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

DIY data collection

Post by frdfsnlght »

I'm in the process of designing and building a custom data collector. It has the ability to send data over a Bluetooth connection (serial port) to a phone. Does LapTimer have any facility for accepting data from such a device? It will be sending standard GPS NMEA sentences but can also send data from a bunch of other sensors. For example values read from the CAN bus, 3 axis acceleration, 3 axis gyroscope, temperature, analog inputs, digital inputs, etc.

The current design supports the $RC1, $RC2, and $RC3 formats for RaceChrono (a phone app like LapTimer). I'm interested in adding support for LapTimer too. More options always make me feel better.

Thanks for any info that can be provided.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DIY data collection

Post by Harry »

Please have a look into the OBD Hacking Guide available here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2748
Feeding in NMEA (GPS) is easier to do. LapTimer has a Custom GPS Sensor setting just like the Custom OBD Sensor settings.
In case you want to use a WiFi based communication, simple use different ports for both streams.

Another alternative is to use Autosport Lab's channel interface design. Search for it on git hub, it is open. It allows you to feed in GPS and CAN data in one stream. IMUs are part of the protocol too, but ignored by LapTimer.

In case you need further assistance, please let me know.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
waz664
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by waz664 »

I have been experimenting with 10Hz GPS units and connecting to BTLE so that it can be integrated in Lap Timer on iOS. There is advanced settings to configure a custom BTLE device for OBD but not GPS. Is there a way to configure Lap Timer for a DIY GPS over BTLE? The device I am using works perfect using the OBD options and some simple Arduino code to send test data. I feel like I must be missing something simple here. Thanks.
MrBlah
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by MrBlah »

Waz have you seen this?

https://github.com/donour/racepi

I just picked up the hardware, i also have solostorm so I was going to give his code a try, I'm not sure why he went with the DL1 protocol when the racecapture protocol is also open