GPS or OBDII?

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
Magus2727
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

GPS or OBDII?

Post by Magus2727 »

I track day my car and am getting the Grand Prix version. If you had a choice to get an external GPS or a OBDII plug-in which would be the best and more valuable?

Phone is a Samsung Note5, car is a 2001 Ford Focus. I have a Xcal2 that I can plug into a laptop and plug in my wideband 02 sensor to data capture that way already. Ll

Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GPS or OBDII?

Post by Harry »

Start with GPS please. It is more important for almost any analysis focus and adds pro level accuracy (compared the internal GPSes). GPS has a special role in LapTimer too, it defines the rate at which data is stored. OBD is fine too, but GPS is the basic.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
acrobat
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by acrobat »

Didnt want to start a new thread. But i want to add a gps was thinking about the xgps160 vs xgps150 is the 160 really worth almost twice the price of the 150?

If so, why?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You get 10 instead of 4 positions per second - which allows better data analysis. In addition, the 160 has a GLONASS/GPS instead of a GPS only receiver. This results in higher position accuracy and better lock stability. Finally you can pair multiple devices at a time. While this is not needed mostly, it reduce access conflicts.

Usually I say "double the price and double the value", but both options are fine from my point of view.

Harry
Image Image Image Image