Hero+

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
ereynold60
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Hero+

Post by ereynold60 »

Harry - I sent you a trace of the Hero+LCD working as a Hero4. In this trace I had the Hero+LCD connected to Wi-Fi... Start Laptimer... Check sensors and details on the external cam.... Then into timer, set video to both internal and external... The Hero+ beeps once. Then started a manual recording and the Hero+ started.... Then stop recording. Next I go to lap list and start transfer of video... It worked but the Hero+ was hung up afterwards.

Can you see anything unusual in this trace?

Thanks,
Ed
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I'm working on another area currently, but will come back once I start with the cams again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ereynold60
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ereynold60 »

After much experimentation, I believe I have found a sequence of "steps" that work fairly reliably for getting a Hero+LCD to work with LapTimer. It is a delicate and fragile operation, which I believe is more on the GoPro side rather than Laptimer. Doing a "reset" of the Hero+ seems to help, as its WiFi seems to get hung up fairly easily on the slightest error. (Reset is done by powering off the Hero+ using a very long hold on the power button - 20 seconds. You need to continue holding the power button long after than cam exits its beeps; wait for the LCD screen to go dark, which is about 10 seconds after the beeps).

Hero+ with Laptimer Usage Notes:

1. PHONE: Airplane Mode ON; Bluetooth ON, Wifi OFF
2. GOPRO: Power ON (front button); Wifi ON (side button LONG)
3. PHONE: Wifi ON --> Verify "gopro" network connected and phone IP address of 10.5.5.100 and "No Internet Access"
4. SKYPRO GPS: Power ON; Bluetooth ON
5. CAR: Start ignition --> Verify OBDLink is ON and Bluetooth enabled (red and blue lights)
6. PHONE: Launch Laptimer (LT)
7. LT: Sensor List --> Verify GPS at 10Hz; OBD at 7-9 Hz; MultiCam Satelite connected
8. LT: RACE then TIMER --> Verify Readiness Conditions
9. LT: Video, then select internal/external - listen for GoPro to BEEP ONCE
10. LT: Video Preview - Adjust internal phone camera setting and field-of-view; check for blinking lights in external cam gadget (upper right).
11. LT: Either start recording manually (red dot in upper left) or return to TIMER view for auto-record.
12. DRIVE ……….
13. LT: Hit CANCEL in TIMER to abort IN-LAP, or STOP button in manual recording.
14. LT: Exit application
15. PHONE: Disable Wifi
16. GOPRO: Wifi OFF (side button LONG), Power OFF / RESET - (LONG HOLD on front button)
17. GOPRO: Connect to charger
vxrtom
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by vxrtom »

Hi Harry, is there any plans for official support of the Hero+ LCD? Over the Christmas period retailers & etailers have been heavily discounting the Hero+ LCD (around £99!!) in the UK with large quantities being sold. I know it's possible to sync the video data later as per your excellently thorough documentation, but the ease and convenience of it being handled as a multi-cam would be hugely beneficial - really hoping there's something in the works for this :)

Regards

Tom
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please try the HERO 4 Session settings. From what I see in unofficial docs on the net, the HERO+ follows the same interface like the Session does. This includes camera wake up and shut down - which is not supported for the HERO4 interface currently. In case the HERO3 settings works too, this is simply because GoPro supports some backward compatibility here - nothing we can rely on.

Please report back how the Session 4 setting works. In case it is fine, I will support a HERO+ setting in LapTimer v21.
In case it does not work, please support us by joining the LapTimer v21 beta starting in February. We will have the opportunity to go through potential issues then.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Jonsen
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Jonsen »

Thanks Harry.

I've just tried and it works as you say. The video recording starts and stops automatically (as it did also in the Hero3/4 Setting). In Hero 4 Session setting it also wakes up the camera and then shuts it down when you leave the laptimer app. Re-open the app and it turns the camera back on again.

File transfer does not work. It gets further than it did on Hero3/Hero4 setting, it actually starts transferring the video and shows the correct thumbnail. It sometimes also shows a % transferred but then this just fails and it goes back to "OFFLINE". In video lists the video files are there just showing all as 1MB in the main summary, go into video details and they show 0MB.
Last edited by Jonsen on Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonsen
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Jonsen »

IMG_0614.PNG
IMG_0614.PNG (115.21 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
IMG_0612.PNG
IMG_0612.PNG (247.92 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The download is more an overall issue with the HERO integration than a HERO+ specific issue. The recommended way is to use either an SD card based transfer (on iOS you can use the Lightning SD Card Reader) or a copy using your desktop. A description is available in Video Documentation from LapTimer homepage.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Jonsen
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Jonsen »

Harry wrote:The download is more an overall issue with the HERO integration than a HERO+ specific issue. The recommended way is to use either an SD card based transfer (on iOS you can use the Lightning SD Card Reader) or a copy using your desktop. A description is available in Video Documentation from LapTimer homepage.

Harry
So I assume that the HERO+ is working as it should in HERO 4 Session mode. As I said it starts / stops perfectly and turns the camera on and off automatically. Great news :)

I've done the manual transfer and that works fine. I used to use a different action camera and overlay manually before I purchased the HERO+ so I can do that no problem. I was looking forward to the WiFi but by the sounds of it the transfer is crippled by the hardware.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I have that item on my list. The progress is not displayed correctly currently, so there is probably some space to improve on the LapTimer side too. The general reliability issue on the HERO side will not go away though.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image