iPhone USB Micro SD Flash Drive - Memory Expansion

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
simonlpearce
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

iPhone USB Micro SD Flash Drive - Memory Expansion

Post by simonlpearce »

Was looking at something along the lines of the following to expand the memory of my iphone 5, so that when on track i can use the phone for video capture then overlay afterwards without using all the phone memory in a matter of a few laps.

http://www.amazon.com/Aizbo-I-flash-Rea ... B00Q2852FC

Anyone know of the compatibility of such a device with the app? Would make life sooooo much easier.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: iPhone USB Micro SD Flash Drive - Memory Expansion

Post by bulls23 »

These devices usually come with some sort of file manager App and usually you can move stuff from / to your phone (eg camera roll for pictures and videos) but they don't actually expand the devices memory space in a way all Apps can directly use it instead of the internal memory and I guess it's not possible in iOS to make an App use / mount that device instead of the internal memory.
Recording videos and moving them to that SD adapter afterwards: yes
Directly usin´g the SD expansion: pretty sure no
Sinister Stairs
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: iPhone USB Micro SD Flash Drive - Memory Expansion

Post by Sinister Stairs »

Sorry to necro this, but I thought it might be useful information to other iOS users:

I purchased a similar product, the Lexar C20i, to see if it could transfer Harry's application data:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012PKX1V2

As bulls23 suggested, the Lexar flash drive uses an app, the Lexar Mobile Manager, to transfer data between your phone and the drive. It can access your standard iOS Photos, Videos, Music, etc.; but Lexar Tier 2 Tech Support confirmed it can not access application data like the raw video footage in Harry's or lap data.

I presume that's a security restriction with iOS that prevents an app (Mobile Manager) from accessing another app's data (Harry's). I've sent Lexar tech support a follow-up question, and I'll update this post when I get a reply; but if anyone else has had experience (successfully) transferring Harry application data to a flash drive, please chime in!

(Yes, I know I can do it via iTunes, but it'd be much more convenient to plug in a flash drive than a laptop.)