Android file size limit

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
Ricknau
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Android file size limit

Post by Ricknau »

New to Harry's. Before I got HLT I used my android to record track session videos of a half hour sessions. The videos always stopped recording before the session was done because the file size reached a limit. I think that limit was 4GB. I expect this to happen next time I go out with HLT. Will this cause a problem for HLT when I try to overlay the data onto the video since the video recording will end before the data collection ends?

Edit: follow-up question.

While on the subject of files etc... Will HLT put raw files on my added SD card by default? That's the preferred location for me since that mem is much larger then the built-in mem. I couldn't find anywhere to setup a preferred location.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Android file size limit

Post by Harry »

LapTimer stores videos (both recordings and overlays) to the location that had most space available. The decision is made during startup, so take care you have the card inserted when starting it.

The video size limit is 2 GB for LapTimer. To overlay a lap's data to a video, the end of the lap needs to be covered by the video. This mean if the video is short, you can overlay all laps up to the first incomplete lap.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Ricknau
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Ricknau »

That's good info to know. Thanks as always for a quick response and for the great product you have produced.

Edit: After ending the recording at the 2GB video limit will it begin a new video recording when the start line is crossed again? If yes, can the corresponding data from the full session data file be overlaid onto the completed laps of the second video file?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It will not stop recording at 2GB, but the file will not be readable for LapTimer. It is possible to split the video on you desktop and overlay the individual parts but this is not very convenient. The process is described in the "HOWTO Working with large video file on Android" (or similar) on the Troubleshooting sub forum.

Harry
Image Image Image Image