GPS and OBD II all-in-one accessory?

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
zeusbap
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

GPS and OBD II all-in-one accessory?

Post by zeusbap »

Hello,

I have been using LapTimer for about a year now, and it's a great product. I'd like to step up my setup and get an external GPS and an OBDII reader. My question is simple: Does a product exist that combines both sensors in one? It seems like a no-brainer to take an existing (self-powered, OBD device) and add a GPS receiver to it. Something like the Kiwi would be ideal - several feet of cable between the plug and the brains would allow you to put it on the dash for best reception.

If the answer is no... Consider this an open invitation to anyone with an entrepreneurial spirit to market the first product with this combined capability!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GPS and OBD II all-in-one accessory?

Post by Harry »

There is a solution named Freematics. It is not production ready however and would require considerable improvements on the firmware side to make a valid alternative for existing solutions. BT LE in particular is not fast enough to allow the typical ELM327 request / reply pattern with reasonable speeds. But let's see what future brings. I'm open to support any hardware developer who takes the time to listen to LapTimer requirements.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

The Freematics device is very much a hobby thing at the moment. It has a lot of potential as it can not only access GPS and OBDII data, but also contains a 6 degree of freedom (3 axis accelerometer and 3 axis rotation rate) IMU connected to a fairly powerful digital motion processor that can do sensor fusion, but the DMP isn't being used at all in the current demo level firmware.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, I have one here with all features equipped. Lots of potential, but an open project with all pros and cons...
Image Image Image Image
zeusbap
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by zeusbap »

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I guess I'll start budgeting for a few expensive gadgets for next season...

Harry- thanks for a great app. Keep up the good work!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This one will be supported starting with LapTimer v19 (GrandPrix): http://www.autosportlabs.com/racecapturepro-2/

I have dropped activities on the Freematics dongle. I invested quite some time, but neither received the results expected nor got professional support.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image