XGPS160 update rate error of 0 Hz, latest firmware, helpneed

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
jtt777
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

XGPS160 update rate error of 0 Hz, latest firmware, helpneed

Post by jtt777 »

Hi all,

I am having issues getting Harry's lap timer to work with the XGPS160. The iPhone and the GPS pair perfects and I am running the newest version of iOS (7.1.2) but when i go to look at Satellites in HLT, there is plenty of data and position information, a ton of satelites detected but the update rate is sjown as 0 Hz. Interestingly, when i got the XGPS160, it had an older firmware version (1.2.x?) on it and it had no issues connecting and showing the 10 hZ update rate. I did the firmware update because i thought it would be a good idea, it seems to have made some issue.

I can occasionally get the XGPS160 to show an update rate now but nothing consistently seems to work. I've minimized harry's lap timer and then came back to it, sometime works, sometimes not. I've toggled the XGPS on and off while in harry's lap timer and while out of it, sometimes works, sometimes not. I noticed there is a toggle switch to "Enable High Refresh Rate", sometime clicking this makes the refresh rate pop back on, sometimes not.

What is pretty consistent is that if I get the program to show a refresh rate, as soon as i switch to another program and try to come back to HLT, the refresh rate is back down to zero. It's clearly not zero though as tons of data is being sent to the iPhone and it has obviously found lots of satellites. I have installed the SkyPro GPS tool and it shows the device working correctly too and getting what I assume is a 10 Hz update. I've tried with that SkyPro software running and with it killed, not a fix as far as I saw.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Jeff
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: XGPS160 update rate error of 0 Hz, latest firmware, help

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Before looking into connection issues - LapTimer's update rates are measured, not formal rates. When sending the app to background, no data is received and the rate is going to 0. Once back in LapTimer, and with the XGPS receiving positions, it will go up again (but takes some time). Most tools show the rate data is coming in, LapTimer counts valid information only. So please always try that outside, not in your office.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
jtt777
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by jtt777 »

Thanks Harry, though i was close to a window, maybe that wasn't good enough. I went outside and tried it a couple times there and so far it seems that I've always gotten a good refresh rate. So perhaps the issue was the lack of valid information (though it did say that all the position data was "Excellent" in the other app!)

Anyhow it seems fine right now so maybe all is well. Thanks so much for your extremely speedy response, it goes without saying you're the best!

Regards,
Jeff
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Compared to other apps, LapTimer is designed to be rather picky on quality. This is by design as great GPS reception is everything for a GPS based LapTimer.

Harry
Image Image Image Image