BT bandwidth and combination of external sensors matrix

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

BT bandwidth and combination of external sensors matrix

Post by bulls23 »

With all the BT trouble caused by iOS (and hopefully solved now in 7.1.2) I was wondering about the maximum BT bandwidth for the different iOS devices and the impact of different settings for the VBOX Sport. At the time you introduced the 20Hz support for the VBOX, I remember reading here that you weren't sure if turning on satellites might cause the refresh rate to drop. I take from that the VBOX @20Hz takes basically all of the BT bandwidth when satellites are on and maybe best practice would be to turn satellites off when using other BT accessories like Multicam or OBD2.
Maybe you could provide / start some kind of accessories matrix for the combination of accessories (the way you did with the OBD benchmark) and which settings to apply when combining certain accessories based on their required bandwidth. Things like:

-VBOX Sport and BT1 possible at the same time (or maybe only with certain settings like VBOX @10Hz)
-Which OBD2 adapter, depending on external GPS (e.g. is it better to go for Wifi OBD2 when using VBOX Sport)
-Which OBD2 adapter in combination in combination with Gopro (or other external cameras like the Sony action cams :D ;) ) and external GPS (if I remember correctly, the OBDLink MX implementation will be able to join the Gopro Wifi network and with the VBOX Sport might be the only way to use Multicam, 20hz GPS and OBD2 at the same time.

I think that might be pretty useful as a "power user buyers guide" for accessories, depending on what you would like to combine.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BT bandwidth and combination of external sensors matrix

Post by Harry »

That's difficult to maintain as a compatibility matrix as the device used needs to be taken into account too. Even for iOS, there are at least 10 devices that need to be tested, not to talk about Android where the number of formally compatible devices is bigger than 4000 different models... Furthermore there are OS version, firmware versions etc.

Formally, BT bandwidth provided by modern smartphones does not limit reasonable BT combinations. When combining the VBOX with sats on and a BT1 (which is probably somewhat the worst case for iOS) on my recent 5S, I saw a slight reduction of BT update rate (from 8 to 7 Hz). So it is probably an artificial problem one would document in such a matrix?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: BT bandwidth and combination of external sensors matrix

Post by bulls23 »

In that case, the bandwidth problem doesn't seem as bad as I thought...thx.