Which external GPS for android phones?

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by froggy47 »

Please advise which are "approved" or at least known to work, blue tooth is best. Thanks! Moto x phone with 4.4.2 ver.
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Moto X/android, Dual 160, generic OBD2
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I can only give you a statement on devices I test regularly: Dual XGPS 160, QStarz 818XT, VBOX Sport. All tested with Nexus4 and Samsung Galaxy S3.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
froggy47
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Which external GPS for android phones?

Post by froggy47 »

Thank you.

:)
Autox & HPDE
2004 Corvette Z06
Moto X/android, Dual 160, generic OBD2
mallinss
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by mallinss »

froggy47 wrote:Thank you.

:)
I'm using VBOX Sport with Nexus 5, works like a treat.

Steve
bazza_c
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bazza_c »

Dual XGPS160 seems best. Compared to the VBox sport, its reception is better due to a higher sensitivity chipset and the addition of Glonass satellites to lock onto - despite its slightly lower update rate. As discussed here, the Vbox sport is virtually useless without the external antenna, and I would suggest that even with the external antenna fitted, its accuracy is impaired unless you are on a completely open circuit with no trees, buildings or obstacles in sight.
strange because the chipset Racelogic (manufacturers of the Vbox sport) use in their other product - Performance box - is far superior to the Vbox sport, with or without an external antenna.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Not sure I agree here. The VBOX Sport with an external antenna will give you super accurate recordings. Especially speed recordings are not smoothed as much as for the Dual. In case the device is used without external antenna, both accuracy and lock stability are better for the Dual. Value for money is a different topic.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
HiFiGuy
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by HiFiGuy »

Considering the pace of technology in general, I'd like to revisit this, a year after the most recent post. What is the best bang-for-the-buck accessory GPS unit for an Android at this point? I am intrigued by the Garmin GLO, because it has a 10Hz rate, uses both GPS and GLONASS, and sells for $99 on Amazon. Is the real-world user experience with it positive?

I was all set months ago to order an XGPS 160, but saw a few comments about it being unreliable in its connection to the phone over BT, and some other minor negatives, so I have held off. I am now ready to go on track for the first time this year, and I would like to order an affordable accessory GPS so it can arrive before I go to pick up my car. What seems to be the consensus?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Qstarz, Garmin GLO, Dual XGPS. The later two support DGPS at 10 Hz, so they are slightly better. The Qstarz on the other hand is cheaper.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
bazza_c
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bazza_c »

I still say the Dual XGPS 160. I have that and the Garmin device. The Dual seems to have better sensitivity than the Garmin. And depending on the device i always get a reported 10hz from the Dual XGPS 160, and maybe 7 to 9 hz reported from the Garmin.
bazza_c
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by bazza_c »

In response to Harry's post above, the Vbox sport with external antenna offers a slightly more dynamic readout at 20hz, but i still experience more dropouts and speed spikes from tree and bridges than i do from the Dual XGPS 160.
Incidentally Harry - the Vbox Mini offers a wired NMEA output..plus Racelogic offer a serial output to connect to a laptop and their software.
Is there anyway of using their output data via a serial / usb cable into the bottom of an android phone? or lightning connector on an IOS phone?
I wouldn't mind using their data with the video overlay.

Otherwise the data from Vbox mini and Performance Box is on a par with the Dual XGPS - sensitivity wise. Otherwise, can I import a Racelogic DBN or VBO file and overlay it to a recorded video?