Connection Order and Few Issues

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
Augustyniak
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Connection Order and Few Issues

Post by Augustyniak »

Harry;

I have an iPhone 5S and just yesterday bought a BT1 and a XGPS160 (10hz) GPS unit for autocross, high speed autocross and track days. I updated the 160 to firmware version 1.3.0. I am connecting HLT GP V18.0 and the accessories to multiple vehicles. The primary vehicle which I was not able to test tonight is my 02 Mustang GT. However, I also connected them to a 06 TDI Jetta and a 13 Honda Accord Sport.

Is there any particular order of operations that tends to get everything connected and functioning properly? I spent a few hours tonight testing and seemingly am only able to get one accessory or the other connected. I noted that the GPS was running at 10 hz when connected in the devices screen and the BT1 was running at 6 hz when running well.

On the GPS side, the unit is very difficult to get connected and working. Most of the time I receive an error regarding an update rate error and the GPS screen shows 0 Hz. Sometimes it connects and when I get the BT1 connected, it drops. Any thoughts?

On the BT1 side, all the vehicles I connected it to gave me a message rate error of sorts. It did not work well on any of them. The one video which had updates on the BT1 also had the GPS error and hence when overlaid did not provide any data.

I was not able to get them connected and functioning together yet.

Have you seen any issues with this combination? I am not overly familiar with HLT yet but the experience has been a little disappointing so far. Is there any particular reason I should have picked up the BT1A instead even though I will never use this with an android device? Is this the best combination so far for the 5S? I can switch to a wifi dongle but I think I will wait for the OBDLink if that is needed to alleviate the high data rates I am attempting to use over the BT connection.

Thanks!

-Nick
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Connection Order and Few Issues

Post by Harry »

Hi Nick,

I have exactly this combination (except for a different car) here in front of me and the combination from XGPS160+BT1+iPhone5S (latest iOS) runs without drops and flaws at 10Hz / 7Hz. Like almost always when it comes to wireless connections, it is about disturbing other devices that block communication or other apps accession the devices at the same time. There is always a chance a special car has problems with an OBD dongle, but as you have tried several cars and Fords in particular come with a very stable OBD implementation, I doubt the issue is around compatibility.

So back to wireless, please check if you have other BT or wifi devices around and disable them. In car audio or hands free telephony devices are often the root cause for connection issues. Both the XGPS160 and the BT1 are very well behaving devices in terms of order of connection etc. To get to a defined connection order, you may simply background LapTimer (Home button), wait a few seconds, and foreground it again. This drops connections and re-establishes them once LapTimer is pulled to foreground again. Both devices connect within seconds when I go through this cycle.

I know it is cumbersome sometimes, but I hope this helps.

- Harry
Attachments
IMG_3314.PNG
IMG_3314.PNG (130.44 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
Image Image Image Image