G-force readings

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
lego maniac
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

G-force readings

Post by lego maniac »

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a setting to read G-force measurements from the bluetooth GPS device vs the iPhone itself?

Thank you!
Zachary Wong
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: G-force readings

Post by Harry »

Hi,

GPS and accelerator are different sensors. While the iPhone has both (and some more), a GPS mouse is GPS only. So there is no alternative for measured forces. What you can do however, is calculating the forces from the GPS plot. This is pretty well implemented for LapTimer and available in Lap Details. Press the 'Calculate' button to overwrite measured values with calculated values. This is especially useful for motorcycle drivers as lateral acceleration is zero here.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
lego maniac
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by lego maniac »

my apologies, i wasn't clear. my gps device actually can measure GPS and g-forces so was hoping i wouldn't have to mount my iphone and store it somewhere else in the car (securely of course) rather than window mounting it. it's not a deal killer at all, just thought there might be a setting i was missing.

thank you!
Zach
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Please let me know what device this is (I'm not aware of a BT GPS including acceleration measures) and I will check if I can support it.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
lego maniac
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by lego maniac »

Hi Harry,

The BT GPS i am using is the QStarz BT-Q1000eX (http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%20Pr ... EXQR-F.htm).

I have a fellow racer using a Wintec G-Rays (http://www.semsons.com/wigiwblgpsre.html) that also measures G-forces, unless in both cases we are being fooled and they are calculating the G-forces from GPS data as you mentioned.

Thanks!
Zach
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Looking into the description I doubt they measure g forces.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Houndofgrey
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Houndofgrey »

My Porsche Cayman S 981 has a dashboard G meter, which is one of several displays available.

The source of these data, I believe, is the Event Data Recorder.

G forces are used in calculating the force needed for airbag deployment. This is the case for most recently built cars sold in the United States.

Perhaps these data are available via the OBD port.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, oddly not using standard PIDs. Acceleration sensors are available on all modern cars, but the data is kept secret or need to be licensed for a lot of money.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

If you use a VBOX Sport, the .vbo file recorded on the internal SD card will have speed, lateral and lineal acceleration. But it's calculated from the GPS data, not measured with accelerometers. Racelogic sells an IMU unit that measures acceleration and rotation rates for three axes, but it only attaches to a VBOX3i. They don't list a price for either, but I'd bet it's on the order of $5,000 US for both. It's really great if price is no object. It drastically reduces the noise in the speed and acceleration data and gives you yaw, pitch and roll as well.