Combination options for android (OBD + GPS)

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
vxrtom
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Combination options for android (OBD + GPS)

Post by vxrtom »

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for both an OBD2 reader (either WiFi or Bluetooth) and an external GPS device for use with the recently released Android version of Harry's Lap Timer (HTC One).

I want to be able to have the phone in a holder and powered constantly via USB to the car USB port.

I'm looking at the XGPS150 with 5HZ firmware upgrade or XGPS160 (if it lands in the UK any time soon...) which I intend to connect to the HTC via Bluetooth.

My question really is - which is the best OBD2 for the above set up and does it need to be WiFi if the phones already using Bluetooth for the GPS?

Many thanks in advance.

Tom
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Combination options for android (OBD + GPS)

Post by Harry »

Hi,

So far I believe wifi OBD dongles will not get a common solution for Android. Please check http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility_Android.html for the details, it will be BT mostly. For the XGPS options, you find links to preferred partner on http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html The XGPS160 will be linked soon.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the LapTimer community.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
vxrtom
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by vxrtom »

Thanks Harry. Very useful info contained in those links. I'm going to go for the Kiwi BT OBD plug (built in power management means hopefully I can leave it plugged in) and await further news on XGPS160.

Keep up the good work.

Tom
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi Tom,

Oddly, the Kiwi has a power switch you need to operate to stop battery draining. It comes with a long cable, so you can place the dongle itself where you can reach it, but it is still not as good as e.g. the GoPoint BT1A. The later will probably be supported in a future version of LapTimer (the iOS version supports it), but currently it is not.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image