OBD + GPS + charging options for iPhone 5

Discussions on all kinds of sensors (GPS, OBD, video/audio) and other accessories like mounts
Scott231
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

OBD + GPS + charging options for iPhone 5

Post by Scott231 »

I'm Revisiting my laptimer setup with spring now here and more iPhone 5 options available than when I last looked into it over the winter.

I see many of the recommended options use bluetooth and seem to work together, if my research is correct. My question-- if I go with this popular combination (DualXGPS + GoPointBT1 + Ram Mount and iPhone 5 case (RAM-HOL-AP11U)) how are you folks charging your phone while laptimer is running?

I would have liked to have the GPS or OBD connected to the phone and charging, but it looks like the old cabled GoPoint isn't available anymore. Figured someone must have this figured another charging option as I record video and it eats the battery pretty quickly. Any ideas welcome.

And thanks to Harry for all of the wonderful updates over the winter!
Scott
2008 Chevrolet Corvette
1987 Buick Grand National (10.22@ 131 running E85)
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: OBD + GPS + charging options for iPhone 5

Post by bulls23 »

Both the Dual and the BT1 are Bluetooth devices so the iPhone has a free dock and can be charged...or am I missing something? BT1 does not need charging and the Dual doesn't run out of battery that quick and you are still able to go for a dual 12V plug in the car and load both iPhone and Dual while lapping.
Scott231
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Scott231 »

bulls23 wrote:Both the Dual and the BT1 are Bluetooth devices so the iPhone has a free dock and can be charged...or am I missing something? BT1 does not need charging and the Dual doesn't run out of battery that quick and you are still able to go for a dual 12V plug in the car and load both iPhone and Dual while lapping.
Nope, the dual 12V plug idea is just what I was looking for.

I used to run the TomTom GPS mount and just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing another obvious powered mount option. Thanks for the helpful (and, in hindsight, obvious) solution!
2008 Chevrolet Corvette
1987 Buick Grand National (10.22@ 131 running E85)
franman
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by franman »

so it IS possible to connect multiple BT devices to the iphone simultaneously?? This is what I wanted to confirm.. using Dual GPS and BT1 OBD is possible and not a problem? (I've never tried connecting multiple BT devices to the iphone before)... thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, that works.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
chknhawk
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by chknhawk »

I got my cabled gopoint last year for Christmas. I think they still have it. That is what I use to power and pull obd data.