karting - multiple configurations of the same track

All discussions on existing and 'to be done' Track Sets
chorrell
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

karting - multiple configurations of the same track

Post by chorrell »

In the karting world it's not uncommon to sometimes run a track backwards or just set up different patters through a series of turns on different weekends. What's the best way to manage this in HLT? I tried just defining a new track and setting up new trigger points for the splits, but I was having trouble because the GPS picks up that there are other trigger points nearby and doesn't like creating new ones so close. Also when I'm driving the track in different configurations it sometimes picks up splits set up from before. Is there a smarter way to manage this?

Thanks,
Chuck
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: karting - multiple configurations of the same track

Post by Harry »

[Moved to "Tracks"]

You will basically define several track sets - one for each configuration, and with different names. Next, you will have loaded only one track set at a time. You can keep laps for the configurations in LapTimer, but will load / unload the POIs. Pleae check this post on your options storing the different configurations: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57#p1222

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

I've been using LapTimer lately for karting myself. I also ran into the problem of pois nearby. As a workaround: in the maps view, simply go further away from where you want your poi, place it there and then simply drag it back to where you really wanted it to be.
I tried logging on a kart with my standalone iPhone 4. the results weren't really satisfying: not precise enough and often dropping laps due to bad reception. I then ordered a Dual XGPS150 and wore it like a watch on my left wrist. What can I say, now the timing was perfect and the results as good as the official timing. I got beautiful track layouts and didn't miss any laps and my iPhone remained safely in my breast pocket. Btw. this was all with rental karts...haven't tried it yet with a racing kart.
You should create a track set for each configuration of the track, so LapTimer doesn't pick up splits from another track set. This way LapTimer also warns you about overlapping track sets. Since the kart tracks won't be on Harry's server, you should create and export those track sets (via the "certify" button, simply change the "to" email to your own) to an email on your iPhone. That way you can simply load the configuration you need right from your emails (with the "open in" function of the attachments).

p.s.

too slow...Harry already answered :(
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Just one more remark / advice for activities such as karting, where your iPhone will probably be put away safely and in sleep mode:

I wasn't sure about the sleep mode and how it affects Laptimer. As Harry said before, Laptimer will log while in sleep mode and not if send to background via home button. Yesterday I went karting again and this time I did put my iPhone in sleep mode before lapping and didn't get any laps logged :-( I think the problem is that the iPhone shuts down Bluetooth while in sleep mode and that way my connection to the XGPS150 was lost and since I turn off the location service to "force" the use of the external GPS the internal GPS didn't react as well.
Having said that...how does the handsfree Bluetooth service work then? I've never experienced any problems there with my iPhone in sleep mode. Does handsfree work differently than GPS Bluetooth connections?
hms
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by hms »

Do you really need to do this?

...since I turn off the location service to "force" the use of the external GPS the internal GPS didn't react as well.

Iirc you do not have to force the iphone to use the XGPS, the XGPS has priority over the internal GPS, and will overide the internal sensor.

Does turning off of location services disable internal and external GPS's?

H
Black S Special goes by the name of Lexie.
JRSC M45, 189.6 bhp JR ARB's, TDR belt tensioner, Steve Heath Rose jointed drop links, Absolutely Shocks GAZ springs and dampers, Alignment by WIM

bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Turning off location services only affrects the internal GPS an you don't have to do so. I was only trying to give yoz guys the whole picture of what I did. After searching some more I'm not so sure anymore about the Bluetooth connection being the possible problem. It could also simply be Laptimer missing the trigger because of the external GPS and the corridors, a problem other users have been having trouble with too.