Re: Track layouts

Post by Brent Steward »

Ausgezeichnet!! :D
Brent Steward
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Brent Steward »

OK, that is working very well. A great trick to "certify" and then email yourself the XML file instead. Now a couple more questions.

1 - As I am doing the POI's on the layout, I see the certified version of this track only has a start/finish POI, (Stop/Go) and then an Information POI for each corner. Am I correct in assuming that I should move these points to the middle of the corner and then change them to Trigger - Split POI's in order to record all of the corner data? Would this not be more specific once I have laps recorded and test?

2 - I need a little clarification on the orientation of the trigger POI's. I see that they are only for display, but I'm not sure what that means. They have no effect on the recording of the data? Also, how are the degrees defined in this setting? Is 0/360 due North, due East, or just directly in line with the track? For example, if my start/finish point is on a straight, heading due South, is that a 0, a 180, 90, etc.? If my Turn 1 trigger is a 90 degree right-hander which turns from South to West, what should I use for the degree?

Thank you again for such terrific software.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi Brent,

On #1: finding the start / finish line and corner names is comparable easy looking into Google Earth. That is the reason most track sets have these implemented. With split times it is a bit more difficult, you cannot see them on the map and for most tracks there are a bit arbitrary. As a rule of thumb, I set one trigger a km - including the start / stop. So a 3km track has typically 1 stop/go and 2 intermediates / splits. Splits are best placed on straight, not in corners. This makes measurement more accurate, furthermore split times are more meaningful on straights. So in case you have evidence on correct split positions for your favorite track, add them and re-certify the track set with me to include the splits on the server. POIs (non triggers) are mainly to get nice maps. I plan to automatically include them into video overlay in v15 - this should be a very nice new feature ;-)

On #2: I'm a sailor, so this is driving direction at the trigger with north = 0°, west = 270°, east = 90°, and south = 180°. The effect is visible for triggers only. While a trigger with no direction shows up as a flag, triggers with directions get a line with a small arrow - in exactly the direction given.

Hope that clarifies this, its a bit complex.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Brent Steward
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Brent Steward »

Ah. Thank you. Makes perfect sense now. I'll change the corners back to information, and put splits on the straights between corners. I am also a sailor, and that was the scheme I suspected.