Track layouts

All discussions on existing and 'to be done' Track Sets
zeusrotty
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Track layouts

Post by zeusrotty »

I will be going to Autobahn Country Club for the weekend and I see that you only have the North and South tracks in the database. My question is that there is also a full track where they connect the two tracks together for a 3.56 mile circuit. How do I add that configuration to the database?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Track layouts

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Please check the tutorial on http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Tracks.html on how to setup tracks in general. In this case it is probable very easy as you can download both North and South Tracks Sets, rename one of them to 'Autobahn Full', remove POIs / triggers that are not relevant, and finally move the POIs / triggers from the other track set to your Autobahn Full track. To move a POI from one track set to another, you navigate to the individual POI (Lap List->POI Entry (of source track) -> select POI to move), and move it by pressing the 'POI Set' row and select the target Track Set.

As soon as the track is ready, press the Certify button to send it to me / to the server.

In case that is too much for the start, please send a note to LapTimer@gmx.de, I will help.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
scrowner
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by scrowner »

When racing in our endurance race group, the organizers will modify the standard tracks by adding chicans, optional turns that can exist at the track but typically not used, etc. When there is track data available for LapTimer, is there additional work required using LapTimer Pro to prepare the track data? If the Start/Start is correct but there are additional turns on the track due to configuration changes, should I be concerned?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

As long as the start / stop positions are the same, you can use the predefined track. For standard configuration I'd prefer an additional certified track set representing the specific configuration - e. g. to make laps comparable. As soon as it gets very individual / variation rich, you may want to go like asked.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
JRM
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by JRM »

Harry, the link to the video tutorial on track layout does not work. Has it been relocated to another server or am I missing something?
Joel Madsen
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You are right, the link was outdated. I have updated it to the new location.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
JRM
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by JRM »

Harry wrote:You are right, the link was outdated. I have updated it to the new location.

- Harry
Ok, what is the new location?

Also, Miller Motorsports Park (MMP) in the state of Utah is my home track. I downloaded your certified 'Main' course and found a few minor labeling errors. Since this track has been certified by you, I assume you will want to make the corrections. They are as follows:
1. MMP has 4 course configurations: Full Course, Outer Course, East Course, West Course. The official name for the course you certified is 'Full Course'.
2. Turn label 'East' should be 'Fast'.
3. Turn label 'Klink' should be 'Kink'.

Once I study the tutorial on how to create and modify courses, I will take a try at creating the 2 remaining course configurations... East Course and Outer Course.
By the way, I just downloaded release 14 and it is awesome. You are a scholar and a gentleman ;) Thank you for this wonderful software and your outstanding support.
Joel Madsen
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Thanks, I fixed the named issues in MMP Full Course. The link has been corrected in the original post, it is http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Tracks.html

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Brent Steward
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Brent Steward »

Terrific app, by the way...Can't wait to use it. Just getting ready for my next track day. I will be at Heartland Park Topeka. I have a couple of dumb questions.

One, I'd like to make a correction or two to the positions of the markers. For example, on the certified track layout the start/finish line doesn't line up with the map. I understand that Google Maps might be a bit off on my phone, so the way I understand it, after I have a few laps logged, I can use the test mode and adjust the points to the proper measured spot. Once I do this, is there a way I can rename the track and save it separately so that I can keep the POI's straight?

Along the same line, there are 5 layouts to this track, and the track day layout is different than the one in the certified version. It's not clear to me the best way to make a new layout and keep both layouts available. If I have the first layout loaded, the points keep interfering, and says I should "purge". But, if I create my new layout, then it wants me to purge my new layout before I load the certified layout. I'm confused. (A common state for me, unfortunately...)

Thank you!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

To create either a corrected version - or a new configuration - just start from an existing track set. Rename this track set first (Manage Tracks -> Edit) to keep it separate from the original track set. To store this track set to switch between this and other sets, you can certify your track set and have it available from Add-ons. As an alternative, send the certification not ego yourself and keep it in the mail box. You can import this track set later on by opening the attachment from the email.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image