Questions on creating a track set...

All discussions on existing and 'to be done' Track Sets
aaroncmh
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Questions on creating a track set...

Post by aaroncmh »

Some questions after trying to make a track set for my personal track:

1. I was able to make a POI for a standing start and one for stop/go. From there I was going to go around the entire track and add triggers or POIs to make it accurate. I thought this was how you are supposed to do it...ride the track and add POIs to map it accurately.
So the question is should I just use the one POI for the start and then that's it? As in have that POI and ride the track and it will map it automatically once I pass the stop/go mark?

2. If not, how do I add additional POI's or triggers along the way?

I apologize if this is a confusing way to pose the question...not sure how else to explain it.

Also, I am physically on the track and not using maps. I could also set it up with a simple stop go instead of the standing start if necessary.

I've read the documentation over and over plus I've been on the track with HLT. I've also looked in the forum for answers so sorry if I've overlooked the answer.

Thanks in advance and thanks Harry this app is extraordinary,
Aaron
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Questions on creating a track set...

Post by Harry »

Aaron,

The answer to your question depends on your track's layout. In case your track is cyclic, i.e. has a common start and end (like most tracks), you need exactly one stop/go trigger - exactly on the start / finish line. Do not add any more triggers, don't use standing start triggers here. POIs holding information for display only can be added at any number. They are not required for timing, they are for display only.

Please check you have read the main documentation on this topic:
http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Trigger_Logik.html
http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Tracks.html

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
aaroncmh
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by aaroncmh »

Thank you I think that's what I needed...I thought I would need to make dozens of POI's to make it more accurate.

I'll make it a 1 trigger track too.
Exigent
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Exigent »

Harry-

Is using a single trigger the preferred method for cyclic track ? I was thinking of mapping our local track with a POI at each corner entrance & exit in the belief that this would give me an mph reading at each of these locations when's reviewing lap data on the track map.
2005 996 GT3
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

For a cyclic track, a stop/go trigger is all you need. The min / max speeds are derived from your driving, that is one of LapTimer's unique features. The only reason to add information POIs to corners is to have a text / label attached to them. This is certainly something I add to all tracks if possible, but it is really about display only.

Hope that helps.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Exigent
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Exigent »

Ok. Is the number of speed plots affected by the gps refresh rate of my device? Meaning will I get more speed plots by using a 5hz gps add-on?
2005 996 GT3
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

On track, you will either try to reach am maximum speed (straight), or decelerate to a speed that allows you going through a corner (without leaving). The later is a min speed in terms of change between max and min. That is what it is all about. LapTimer detects exactly this points, there is no option to have more or less. 5 Hz is simply a little better finding the exact point (and exact level) were the min / max speed occurred.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tulloch »

When you create a track (or a route to work) how does the map of the track / route get created, the one that we see overlaid on the LT screen? This may be obvious if you have access to the app but I have the app but no iphone yet to run it on. Should be here soon. I have read the documents but can't figure out where the map comes from.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The 'map' is derived from data recording LapTimer stores while lapping. In the video preview (Video View), any existing lap is used, for the final overlaid video the lap overlaid is used. This in turn means you will not see the 'Map' during your very first lap on a new track.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
tulloch
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by tulloch »

Thanks, I think I've got it now. You plot the path as we drive the course and then construct a "best fit" line from the plotted data points? Does that mean we will get a more accurate plot if we use an external gps such as the Dual?