Autocross Map

All discussions on existing and 'to be done' Track Sets
Magister Ludi
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Autocross Map

Post by Magister Ludi »

Harry,

It has been many years since my last autocross, but I'm getting back into it in three weeks. Your product looks amazing. The course will be comprised of cones on an airport tarmac. The layout varies between events.

My question:Will your program allow me to map the course simply by walking it with my iphone in hand?

In the old days I would draw a rough map as I walked the course, just to study the layout before my runs. It sure would be nice if the program did this for me.

From reading the posts, I see that setting up a map for precise feedback is more involved, and something I will want to do as things progress. But at the outset, I'm more concerned with just a general layout. Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Autocross Map

Post by Harry »

Hi,

You need to define start and finish only (by walking it), the track shape itself is recorded while driving. LapTimer includes an AX assistant to allow an easy setup.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Magister Ludi
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Magister Ludi »

Thank you for the quick reply. This looks like a great tool!
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

My question:Will your program allow me to map the course simply by walking it with my iphone in hand?
Yes, it will. In fact, in my opinion, it's a really good idea. You need to go to Expert Settings/Trigger Detection and turn Allow Low Speeds on. Then you need to put the program in the background and bring it back up again to effect the change. Then you can walk the course. I put the program in timer mode to make sure it starts and stops at the right places as well as recording times at the split points I have set after walking the course at least once (it beeps when it detects a POI). I also set POI detection to Narrow because I've had timing stop when the finish line is too close to some other part of the course. Setting the direction for the Start, Split and Finish POI's helps with this. After it stops, your lap will be in the lap list and you can view the course map. I usually forget to turn Allow Low Speeds back off and haven't had a problem.

I rarely use the Wizard and prefer to define POI's from the GPS page (+ and checkered flag button upper right corner) because you can't set the POI direction from the Wizard, you have to go to the lap list and edit the POI afterwards. The wizard does automatically name and create the course. If you don't use it, you have to do this manually using the 'manage list' button at the bottom of the lap list page. Then you assign the new POI's to that course when you create them.
Jkwan123
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Jkwan123 »

Hello,
Does this mean it is possible to create and save custom tracks? For example, I walk/ drive through a custom track created in a parking lot, and the app will automatically trace my path. If this works, can the app give further information such as average speed, acceleration, etc at a certain point on a track?

I apologize if this has been answered before.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Jkwan123 wrote:Hello,
Does this mean it is possible to create and save custom tracks? For example, I walk/ drive through a custom track created in a parking lot, and the app will automatically trace my path. If this works, can the app give further information such as average speed, acceleration, etc at a certain point on a track?

I apologize if this has been answered before.
Yes, you can set up your own track - both closed (common start / finish) and one way (separate start and finish). Data recording is done continuously but certainly depends on the update rate of your GPS. The internal GPS gives you requested information once a second, while a 10 Hz mouse like Dual's XGPS160 generated 10 fixes per second. Especially for AX with lots of short bends, a higher update rate is recommended for data analysis.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image