Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch

All discussions on existing and 'to be done' Track Sets
VegasR1
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch

Post by VegasR1 »

Harry,

I'm new to the app so I apologize if I'm asking old questions. I'm very excited to start using it though. I'm a motorcycle GP track day enthusiast from Las Vegas and Spring Mountain is my 'home' track. As of last year the owners of Spring Mountain added a new back section to the track and have since divided the facility into 2 parts; one for their driving schools and private members. The other for public events. The new back section is shown on your map and the start/finish line is correct but the turn numbers and selections are pretty far off. What's the best method for getting an updated entry for this configuration? I'm not able to go out and walk the track prior to our events so I wont be able to provide exact POI's.

To top it all off if you check out Google Earth you will see that Spring Mountain is building a completely new circuit just to the west of the existing 2 layouts. It was actually completed about a month ago. Google Earth images haven't caught up yet. This circuit is almost entirely separate and will be used exclusively for public events. It shares no corners and as a completely independent start/finish line from the original two layouts. I'll actually be riding there on Sunday 11/3/13. I would love to get a 3rd Spring Mountain entry for this track if at all possible. Please let me know how I can help get this accomplished. The idea is that I would theoretically be able to ride both circuits independently and have separate lap times for each. Thanks very much! Look forward to hearing from you
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch

Post by Harry »

In case an existing track's layout has changed and the existing track set is not valid any more, the best way to adjust is to simply edit the track set to match reality and submit it for certification. As all laps recorded so far get probably void (changing any start/stop or split trigger does that), I need some additional background information on the why and how added to the submission mail. In case there are no satellite pictures are available, you may simply record the new layout in LapTimer and add this lap as the "shape" to help me adding the new configuration.

The basics on editing track sets are described here: http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Tracks.html

For tracks not yet available on satellite pictures, you will set up the track set onsite. You simply use the New Track assistant available from LapTimer's Guide page and follow the instructions. It is mainly about walking near the start / finish line, and storing the position as a stop/go trigger.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
VegasR1
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by VegasR1 »

Harry,

Thanks for the quick response. The old layout is still valid. I'm assuming whomever created it was probably a private track member since they are the only people allowed on the far west section of the course. So I don't want to delete or change it in case someone else wants to use the existing map. I would like to have 3 separate entries/maps for this track since there are now 3 layouts, 2 of which I should be using next spring. Is this possible?

This is a Google Maps image of the current track and a partial of the new layout. I have traced the current layout in red and placed a red box around the section that doesn't yet exist in your software. I have placed a green box around the new section. As you can see they are not connected at all. The new section even has its own paddock.

This image is one taken from my local track day org. This is the most accurate example I could find for the new layout.
VegasR1
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by VegasR1 »

Harry - didn't hear back from you on this. Would you be able to store 3 different layouts for spring mountain?
VegasR1
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by VegasR1 »

here are a couple pics from the software. Shows the layout of the new circuit. What is the green shown around certain areas of the track? I was only able to get 5 fully recorded laps all day which was pretty frustrating. I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Harry - I've submitted the data set for certification. Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, received the submission and will try to complete these configurations soon. The Start / Finish in the first snapshot looks a little too far to the south - which is most probably the reason in case LapTimer missed laps.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
VegasR1
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by VegasR1 »

Harry, thanks for the quick response.

that's weird. I walked right onto the track to set it. Granted it was mid-corner but I made sure to place myself in the middle of the track as instructed. Oh well. Your theory would make sense though if, in fact, my POI was a bit off.

Glad you received my submission. If you could move the start/finish over to the main straight I'm sure that would help the accuracy of future laps. I will try to get you some other POI's from the 2nd Spring Mountain layout ASAP. It will most likely be next summer though.
VegasR1
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by VegasR1 »

BTW, what are the green areas I'm seeing on the screenshots above?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Oh, forgot to answer that... This is lateral acceleration (which is not in good shape in the sample above). Has the iPhone been mounted in a fixed position at your windscreen?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
VegasR1
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by VegasR1 »

the iphone was mounted in my tailsection. Not a very steady mount I'm afraid. My chosen mount did not fit as intended so I had to improvise. I'm not surprised that its sporadic.

Do you have a mount you recommend for sportbikes? I would really like to take video with the phone as well but I'm not confident in having it out in the wind at 130+ mph.