Mapping new track that is not on google maps yets

All discussions on existing and 'to be done' Track Sets
dcampbell
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by dcampbell »

I am going to map a new track, but it is not on google maps or any other sat image site. the track is just a year old. What is the best way to map this track and get it plotted? I plan to drive out, the owner is going to let me on the track with my car and was going to just add POI and direction as I went around it.
2006 BMW 330xi
LT GP 19.0.16
Go point BT1
Gopro Black Hero3
Ipad gen3
XGPS150A
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Mapping new track that is not on google maps yets

Post by bulls23 »

Well, being on site is the best way. Simply go to the track and set the triggers as you go (not while driving, step out of the car and stand on the start/finish, splits, POIs like named corners etc.). The track will be traced when a user actually drives it and is not part of the track set. Here are two links for you:

http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Trigger_Logik.html

http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Tracks.html
dcampbell
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by dcampbell »

Thanks Bulls,

Is there any reason to get out of the car? I was going to drive to a POI then stop the car enter info then go on to the next POI until all info is entered. Also with GPS on the IPAD not perfect does it matter if I am on the center of the track or should I try to be right on an apex for instance?

Thanks,
Denis
2006 BMW 330xi
LT GP 19.0.16
Go point BT1
Gopro Black Hero3
Ipad gen3
XGPS150A
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

It's basically how I would do it...using an iOS device with the internal GPS...you will need all of the GPS reception / accuracy you can get, that's why I would step outside. As for the position on the track's width I would go for the middle and not for apexes etc. The POIs for corner names are just to make the overlay nicer / add some information but not crucial for lap timing. Start / stop triggers and split triggers are the ones you should make sure are as precise as possible.
dcampbell
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by dcampbell »

Good point. Do I need to add splits to the track? The tracks I have used with HLT so far haven't had any.
2006 BMW 330xi
LT GP 19.0.16
Go point BT1
Gopro Black Hero3
Ipad gen3
XGPS150A
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

It's not a must, but nice to have (theoretical best lap will be calculated with the best split times for example). If the track does not have any official splits, I wouldn't add any. If it does, I guess other users will be thankful for a complete certified track set. [THUMBS UP SIGN]
dcampbell
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by dcampbell »

2006 BMW 330xi
LT GP 19.0.16
Go point BT1
Gopro Black Hero3
Ipad gen3
XGPS150A