Portland International Raceway (PIR)

All discussions on existing and 'to be done' Track Sets
zornowm
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Portland International Raceway (PIR)

Post by zornowm »

The Start/Stop trigger point for PIR is located near a pedestrian overpass. Every time I drive under that bridge, I lose one or two GPS fixes. Sometimes, but not always, LapTimer (17.0.6 on iPhone 4s) will stop working and a "Data Error" message appears on the screen. This is kind of annoying if it happens 2 laps into a 25 minute session.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks.
MZ
/Users/zornowm/Desktop/LapTimer-0002-20130616-085323.kml
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Portland International Raceway (PIR)

Post by Harry »

Not sure the theory on overpass and missing fixes and error message is sound :-) Please check if you have turned compression on (switch to "None" in LapTimer's Settings). A narrow pedestrian bridge should actually not make the GPS reception go away - especially when passed at high speeds. So I'd think the missing fixes are simple removed by compression as they do not add additional information on a straight line. On the error message: not sure which one it is... Is it "Current lap had data problems, invalid lap added, corresponding recordings purged. Please report to the author."? In case it is, please check your lap list for invalid dates (like a year 2030 or something like this), and delete it.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
zornowm
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by zornowm »

I tried what you suggested. Compression set to "none". Deleted or purged all old lap lists even though they didn't appear to have bad dates. Re-loaded Portland International Raceway successfully. Still got the error message - "Current lap had data problems, invalid lap added, corresponding recordings purged. Please report to the author." after 2 to 5 laps. GPS signal strong while sitting in the pits before going on track. Couldn't check signal strength while driving (too busy). Laptimer seemed to cut out shortly after going past the start finish line. Concrete wall on the left side of the car at that point. Could it be blocking signal? Is this a GPS signal loss problem or something else?

Would really like to get this working for me. Thanks for any additional suggestions.

MZ
zornowm
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by zornowm »

This is an uppdate to previous post. I looked at the track video. The concrete wall I mentioned is only about 4 ft. tall. Hard to imagine it messes with GPS signal.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

zornowm wrote:I tried what you suggested. Compression set to "none". Deleted or purged all old lap lists even though they didn't appear to have bad dates. Re-loaded Portland International Raceway successfully. Still got the error message - "Current lap had data problems, invalid lap added, corresponding recordings purged. Please report to the author." after 2 to 5 laps. GPS signal strong while sitting in the pits before going on track. Couldn't check signal strength while driving (too busy). Laptimer seemed to cut out shortly after going past the start finish line. Concrete wall on the left side of the car at that point. Could it be blocking signal? Is this a GPS signal loss problem or something else?

Would really like to get this working for me. Thanks for any additional suggestions.

MZ
Please run a full (all laps) export to .hlptrl and send the export to my (Harry@gps-laptimer.de)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
zornowm
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by zornowm »

done. file exported and sent.
Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Had a look into the data and sent feedback by mail.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image