OBDLink Mx+ iOS not able to connect

All topics around Harry's Dyno app and performance testing functions in LapTimer GrandPrix
Bmwfreak
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

OBDLink Mx+ iOS not able to connect

Post by Bmwfreak »

Hi,

Just received a Mx+ in the mail. Running iOS 13 on a iPhone XS. In Harry’s dyno, the Mx+ is not available in the sensor list. It does connect with the OBDLink app, I’ve tried wot the OBDLink shut down and even removed but not success.
Also tried another iPhone, SE running iOS 12.3.1 but also no luck. Bluetooth on both devices only paired with the Mx+, no other devices.
I don’t know what to do, any tips anyone?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OBDLink Mx+ iOS not able to connect

Post by Harry »

Hello,

The Dyno app on iOS is not white listed for the MX+. All LapTimer edition are white listed. This white listing is required to allow an app to access Mfi device. I can request this white listing from OBDLink and Apple, but this will take some days and requires a new release. By coincidence, I have submitted Harry's Dyno v23.0.8 to Apple two days ago. So we are too late to get this feature into 23.0.8.

In case it makes sense, you can use GrandPrix - which has Dyno included.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Bmwfreak
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Bmwfreak »

Thanks Harry, this is a big surprise to me as I can’t find the whitelist info anywhere and on your website under supported devices it says that OBDLink Mx+ devices are a good choice. The GoPoint bt1 description does have a note to say the its not whitelisted for Dyno but the Mx+ Does not have this note.
So before I buy another device that isn’t whitelisted, can I find the whitelist somewhere or it the Mx+ the only one not working with dyno?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You can use any WiFi or Bluetooth LE OBD adapters listed in http://www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/ios. Or the other way around: the GoPoint BT1, the OBDLink MX+ and the Automatic adapters are Mfi devices and are not white listed for Dyno currently. I'd recommend to go for the Kiwi3/4 or TONWON BLE for Dyno.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Patrik
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Patrik »

Hello, I have a Harry laptimer grand prix, opd 2 mx + and an Iphone 12 and a 996 GT2 the connection works but the opd rate is too low what can i do? thx
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Not too much. The 996 series did not come with a CAN bus but uses an older car bus protocol. You can expect 1 or max 2 Hz update rates (which means 4 to 8 PIDs/s), but not more. The OBD adapter isn't the bottleneck here, it is the car and its OBD gateway. Nothing you can change easy.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image