Obd wifi - MHD black adapter

This forum covers all topics on Harry's GPS Buddy
Skevo8
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Obd wifi - MHD black adapter

Post by Skevo8 »

Hi, I have activated the engine add on but the app doesnot connect to my wifi OBD dongle.
The adapter is fully functional on my BMW F82 via other ios apps (bimmercode, bimmerlink, thor, MHD flasher).

Can anyone please help configuring it to work with gps buddy (and later with LapTimer)?

Thank you
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Obd wifi - MHD black adapter

Post by Harry »

Hello,

provided this WiFi adapter supports the ELM327 protocol, you can connect it to LapTimer too:
  • make sure your smartphone is connected to the dongle's WiFi; you will see an icon this WiFi connection is not working as an Internet access; in case you are asked, confirm you want to stay connected to this WiFi nevertheless
  • in case you are on iOS14, make sure you have granted LapTimer permissions to access the local network
  • make sure no other app is accessing the dongle from background, kill all of the named to be sure
  • start LapTimer and goto Administration ‣ Sensor List
  • wait a minute with engine running - your dongle may share the IP/port settings of one of the predefined WiFi adapters
  • in case you do not get the adapter listed after a minute or two, you need to configure the interface as Custom Wifi OBD Adapter
  • follow LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Settings ‣ Expert Settings and fill in the parameters in "Custom WiFi OBD Adapter"
  • return to Sensor List to see the adapter connect
- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

PS. Replace "LapTimer" by "Buddy"
Image Image Image Image
Skevo8
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Skevo8 »

Harry, thank you very much for detailed guidance. Unfortunatelly the connection to the MHD adapter was not established. I have tried also to set the Ip address under which the dongle appeared (also the IP address assigned to the car ecu) - but I do not know which port to use.
I assume the protocol EDIABAS/ENET supported by the MHD adapter is suitable for ECU flashing - but most likelly not for OBD reading - I do not know.

Attaching link to it - may be you have already had the experience with it.

https://bimmer-connect.com/products/bg-mhdfg
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I hadn’t checked the adapter - there are so many. Following the link, the adapter is not an ELM327 device. It will not work for data logging. Please have a look into http://www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/ios for working options.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Skevo8
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Skevo8 »

Thank you for your time.