DUAL xgps 160 + OBD + Gopro (iPhone)

This forum covers all topics on Harry's GPS Buddy
Vin501
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

DUAL xgps 160 + OBD + Gopro (iPhone)

Post by Vin501 »

Hi,
I would like to use external GPS antenna + OBD with iPhone...
Is it possible?
I know that iphone uses the wifi to connect the OBD (such as PLX kiwi3)
can I have both external GPS with the xgps 160 + wifi obd (kiwi3) and gopro camera with iPhone X?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DUAL xgps 160 + OBD + Gopro (iPhone)

Post by Harry »

One WiFi connection, multiple BT connections. That's what is possible.
I recommend to not use WiFi for sensors.
Keep it for action cams or do not use it at all. BT is by far easier to handle.
There are several OBD BT options for iOS now: http://www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/ios

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
DGatzby1
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by DGatzby1 »

Harry, again no options for a new thread, so let’s start here.

My Dual 160 has turned into a brick. It sure enough will attach to Bluetooth, but their app cannot see it. Had it for three years. Its’ performance previously was spotty at best, this year it is worthless. So I need something else and I don’t feel like rewarding Duel more revenue for making units for temporary use.

Your recommendation for a Bad Elf plug-in needs revised. Those are not available for purchase due to the manufacturer discontinuing them.

The VBox is $380. Not happening. I’ll switch to a different app for my track videos.

The Apex Pro is unavailable at Amazon and your link to Apex reveals the OOPs 404 internet error.

I have waisted enough time including at the track this weekend with a big disappointment that the GPS don’t work. Real disappointment when watching the video overlays and the speeds not even close.

Get my point? With a 900 hp Challenger the OBD or IPhone speed updates are nearly worthless due to not being able to keep up with my acceleration rates.

I have used your app for years, but my patience with all the complexities and PIA of just using a Hero3 and then going thru several steps to make a overlay video is growing thin.

What else do you have to suggest?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

Frankly, supporting external sensors is a chicken race. I will update APEX Pro / Bad Elf links shortly:

The APEX Pro device has been updated to a gen 2 version. I will check with the manufacturer if it is still compatible. As the price point is clearly above the VBOX Sport, it will not be what you are looking for anyway.

The Bad Elf Lightning seems to be out of production, you may find a used one.

The new alternative you may want to check is the Racebox Mini.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image