Using GPS Buddy

This forum covers all topics on Harry's GPS Buddy
glospete
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Using GPS Buddy

Post by glospete »

I have (or will have when the delivery comes!) a GoPro camera which I want to use as a dash cam using looping recording of my driving on ordinary public roads. Will GPS Buddy record a file which I can sync with the GoPro footage to show the GPS position and speed etc IF I have a collision and need evidence, or should I buy LapTimer GP Edition? It seems to me that as I'm never going to be driving around a racing track a lot of the facilities will be wasted on me. And I see that OBD connections can be used with GPS Buddy so if I bought a KiWiWiFi dongle would that then show this engine information on the data file as well. Can I then use something like Trackvision to link the two files (GoPRo and GPS-Buddy) together?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Using GPS Buddy

Post by Harry »

Hi,

GPS Buddy does not record anything but shows realtime information only. I consider this as a free technology demo of things LapTimer can do. To overlay data including OBD, you need LapTimer Petrolhead or GrandPrix. The later will automate parts of data / video synchronization, the former requires a manual synchronization. In case you want to get a really simple system to overlay OBD, you may consider Optrix VideoPro too. Although it is a little dated and requires an update to the latest GPS engine (planned for mid of this year), it allows a one click recording and overlaying and is not track focussed. A well kept secret is, it records and overlays OBD too ;-) But again, it is a little dated and does not include the latest graphics.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
glospete
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Using GPS Buddy

Post by glospete »

Harry wrote:Hi,

GPS Buddy does not record anything but shows realtime information only. I consider this as a free technology demo of things LapTimer can do. To overlay data including OBD, you need LapTimer Petrolhead or GrandPrix. The later will automate parts of data / video synchronization, the former requires a manual synchronization. In case you want to get a really simple system to overlay OBD, you may consider Optrix VideoPro too. Although it is a little dated and requires an update to the latest GPS engine (planned for mid of this year), it allows a one click recording and overlaying and is not track focussed. A well kept secret is, it records and overlays OBD too ;-) But again, it is a little dated and does not include the latest graphics.

- Harry
OK LapTimer GP it is then!