[FAQ] OBD Benchmarks

Collection of all FAQs and HOW-TOs posted throughout the system. Read only.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

[FAQ] OBD Benchmarks

Post by Harry »

Just finished testing all the OBD II dongles I have available currently. Using the ECUsim2000 (which simulated a car on my desk), the results can be compared directly. For real cars, rates will differ depending on the bus protocol (CAN or older, the ECUsim has been configured to use CAN 29 bit/500kbps). The values shown can be considered to match late car models. Speed-wise, Bluetooth devices are slower than wifi dongles - they require less energy and are easier to handle on the other side. The fastest wifi dongle I tested is pretty old, it is a first generation Kiwi Wifi. I assume current wifi dongles can achieve even better values. I will constantly complete this list. In case you have a dongle available I'm missing here, please visit us in Cologne and we will test it.

[21st Mar 2014: initial list]
[30th May 2014: added OBDLink MX Wifi]
[2rd July 2014: added GoPoint BT1A and Porsche 911 GTS]
[15th July 2014: added OBDLink MX BT and OBDLink LX BT]
[18th March 2015: added variants with multi CAN requests plus RaceCapture/Pro MK2]

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Kojiro
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: [FAQ] OBD Benchmarks

Post by Kojiro »

The TIFF doesn't show up; can this be fixed? Very interested to see the results before I buy an ODB dongle.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Replaced it by a png version, hope it is readable. It is pretty small and fuzzy, I will update it with the next dongle tested.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Kojiro
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Kojiro »

Thanks! Interesting results none-the-less.
Augustyniak
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Augustyniak »

Harry;

Any idea when the Kiwi 2 results may be available? I am going to purchase everything in the next few days. Thanks!

-Nick
Augustyniak
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Augustyniak »

Do you have any idea when the Kiwi wifi 2 will be tested? I also noted that in your recommendations you state the OBDLink is faster but I don't see results above. Is that a mainly subjective perception then? Thanks!

-Nick
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

The Kiwi2 is on the list because I would like to test it. The reason it has not been tested is I don't have one. Same for the MX, I expect it to arrive in May. The MX statement on speed is based in a former OBDLink model I could compare to the Kiwi some time ago, as well as on the general additional speed claim by OBDSolutions. It will be verified once I can benchmark it in the above defined environment.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Just updated the original post to include the new OBDLink MX Wifi. Please check https://www.facebook.com/HarrysLapTimer ... 5802380870 for more details.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gzoomek
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by gzoomek »

What is the minimum speed for OBDII Bluetooth dongle? TorquePro says my noname dongle puts around 7PIDs/sec and LapTimer says it's too slow.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

7 PIDs per second is roughly 1.2 Hz update rate. In case LapTimer reports 1 Hz (Sensor List) you can ignore the warning but need to expect some jumpy values for OBD. In case it is less (or zero), there is an additional problem. Please contact me by email in this case and add your system and car configuration.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image