[FAQ] LapTimer doesn't rec. / records several laps in 1 lap

Collection of all FAQs and HOW-TOs posted throughout the system. Read only.
Colonel_Klinck
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: [FAQ] LapTimer doesn't rec. / records several laps in 1

Post by Colonel_Klinck »

Harry I've looked around and couldn't quite see the thread I'm looking for answer wise. Hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

I have a 4s and 5hz external GPS. A lot of the time it works really well but sometimes it fails to record any laps, does just a few or I come in to find the app has quit.
I always quit all other apps and take my SIM out. It does it at every track i ride at. All last year I was using IOS5 but have now upgraded to IOS6.

I'm racing this year so could really do with it working as much as possible. Any ideas?
Colonel_Klinck
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Colonel_Klinck »

I should add I mount the GPS on my bars and plugged into a usb power source so it has a great signal. My phone goes under the seat but I wouldn't have thought that was a problem with Bluetooth range.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Always difficult to answer from the distance - a good GPS accuracy and lock stability plus a proper defined trigger set should work very reliable. The upcoming version 17 will add some additional features to improve detection. My recommendation is "as long as you face problems, place the phone in a place you can watch it". As long as the iPhone is out of sight, you cannot get an idea what is going on.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Colonel_Klinck
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Colonel_Klinck »

Lol trying to watch an iPhone and ride a bike at bike as fast as you can is going to end up with myself and the bike/iPhone parting company! I can do a few laps at slower speeds and keep an eye on it but Sod's law says it will behave perfectly. I'll try it though.
Sh3ban
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Sh3ban »

Hi Harry, after latest update v17.1.5, LapTimer has stopped recording Lap Data, custom track layout hasn't been changed, worked like a charm before.
I've recorded previous training sessions, worked fine, and yeasterday we had competition, I got Lap Time but no Track Data :?
Also could you please explain what is the "Set Speed" and "Penalty" ?
Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_2024.PNG
IMG_2024.PNG (94.57 KiB) Viewed 9682 times
IMG_2025.PNG
IMG_2025.PNG (219.08 KiB) Viewed 9682 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You have a Track Set conflict shown in the Lap List (red exclamation). Please make sure you clear the conflict by removing the conflicting track set or reload your current track set (and follow LapTimer's recommendation to purge conflicts).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
expatbrit
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: LapTimer doesn't record / records several laps in one la

Post by expatbrit »

Harry wrote:Hi Raul,

Wearing any iPhone in your leather will degrade GPS quality to a point LapTimer has no chance to work with the data. As the iPhone3's had comparably weak GPSes, this is especially true here.

So please mount your device to the steering rod has proposed in LapTimer's help, this will work a lot better!

- Harry
First post and, I'm sure, a relatively common issue. Custom track, no data recorded.

Is this still the case with an iPhone 4? I've seen examples of folks using an iPhone in their leathers and it working fine.

I ask because I defined a track and tested it over the weekend -- iPhone in my leathers (I should read the manual first) and had several issues.

First -- I'd load the track, go to timer, and start it. When I came off the track, it would NOT be still on timer, but would be back on the start screen, with no data recorded. GPS showed a good signal BEFORE I put the phone in my pocket and I guess I naively assumed it'd work fine.

Second -- as above, no data. I can't even test it, and it's hard to do with the phone.

I've seen reference to adjusting the width of the detection zone of a start/stop trigger. Is this necessary; I'm completely new to the software, trying to absorb the guides.

Is there anyone who can help take a look at my track definition and see if it looks fine? Yesterday was, sadly, the last track day of the season so I doubt I'll get a chance to test it again until April or May!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Just send the track set to me (use Lap List -> scroll to your track -> press the row showing "xx POIs+Triggers" -> scroll to bottom -> select Certify). Please do not forget to add a reference to this thread or some text so I can associate the topics.

From what you write it is most probably simply no GPS reception in your pockets. In addition, have you made sure the buttons and the screen is not touched in your cloth? This can generate random situations LapTimer will not work in.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
expatbrit
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by expatbrit »

Harry wrote:Just send the track set to me (use Lap List -> scroll to your track -> press the row showing "xx POIs+Triggers" -> scroll to bottom -> select Certify). Please do not forget to add a reference to this thread or some text so I can associate the topics.

From what you write it is most probably simply no GPS reception in your pockets. In addition, have you made sure the buttons and the screen is not touched in your cloth? This can generate random situations LapTimer will not work in.

- Harry
Harry,

Wow. Great help; I really appreciate it!

I've sent off the track definition to you just in case there's something obvious. Like I said; I sort of went at it gung-ho and missed the 'weaker GPS signal in my leathers' thing, but I wasn't getting ANYTHING. I can get a bit of private time on the track for $50 on a Monday, but I'd rather make sure there problem wasn't between Chair and Keyboard first before throwing more money at it
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Without GPS you will not get anything, you won't make one lap blindly either ;-) Looking into the track set the only thing I see is not perfect is the "Information NAPA short four" which seems to be misplaced. Keep my fingers cross :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image