Page 3 of 6

Re: [HOWTO] Debugging OBD Communication

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:18 am
by gplracerx
What protocol does the Dual 160 run on?


The protocols you list. SAE, ISO and CAN, are for communication with the vehicle, not the phone. The XGPS160 uses Bluetooth, which doesn't have alternate communication protocols, as far as I know. I would suggest CAN as a first try if you want to try somethig other than automatic.

Re: [HOWTO] Debugging OBD Communication

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:59 am
by froggy47
gplracerx wrote:
What protocol does the Dual 160 run on?


The protocols you list. SAE, ISO and CAN, are for communication with the vehicle, not the phone. The XGPS160 uses Bluetooth, which doesn't have alternate communication protocols, as far as I know. I would suggest CAN as a first try if you want to try somethig other than automatic.


Corvette got the CAN bus in 2005 so not mine (2004)

Re: [HOWTO] Debugging OBD Communication

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:26 am
by Harry
Please forget about the Dual for now, it is not related to the OBD issue. The protocols discussed are car bus protocols - again, this is not related to GPS / the Dual device.

To read out your car's protocol using the OBDLink tool, connect the dongle to your car and run it. Connect your smartphone to the OBDLink and start the OBDLink app. Press "Connect" and wait until the device is connected. Now, press "Settings", "Information", and scroll to the bottom of the screen. Now, you can see the actual protocol used:
IMG_5281.PNG
IMG_5281.PNG (179.22 KiB) Viewed 3109 times


Write down the protocol name. Kill the OBDLink app (to make sure we do not get conflicts with LapTimer). Start LapTimer and select the Default Protocol you have written down above from LapTimer / Settings / Expert Settings / OBD Tweaks. Send LapTimer to background, wait some seconds, and pull it forward again. Check what happens.

- Harry

Re: [HOWTO] Debugging OBD Communication

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:26 pm
by froggy47
Harry wrote:Please forget about the Dual for now, it is not related to the OBD issue. The protocols discussed are car bus protocols - again, this is not related to GPS / the Dual device.

To read out your car's protocol using the OBDLink tool, connect the dongle to your car and run it. Connect your smartphone to the OBDLink and start the OBDLink app. Press "Connect" and wait until the device is connected. Now, press "Settings", "Information", and scroll to the bottom of the screen. Now, you can see the actual protocol used:
IMG_5281.PNG


Write down the protocol name. Kill the OBDLink app (to make sure we do not get conflicts with LapTimer). Start LapTimer and select the Default Protocol you have written down above from LapTimer / Settings / Expert Settings / OBD Tweaks. Send LapTimer to background, wait some seconds, and pull it forward again. Check what happens.

- Harry



OK Harry, will do.

Re: [HOWTO] Debugging OBD Communication

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:30 pm
by froggy47
SAE J1850 VPW (10.4 Kbaud) is the protocol from obd2 mx bt.

I set HLT to that as requested.

Would not connect

I sent a log.

Please help.

Re: [HOWTO] Debugging OBD Communication

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:21 pm
by gplracerx
After killing the OBDLink app, did you disconnect the dongle from the car and plug it back in?

Re: [HOWTO] Debugging OBD Communication

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:35 pm
by froggy47
gplracerx wrote:After killing the OBDLink app, did you disconnect the dongle from the car and plug it back in?


No I left it plugged in, Just exited the app on my phone.

:)

Re: [HOWTO] Debugging OBD Communication

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:20 pm
by froggy47
Should I try again & physically remove the OBD2 mx bt, then reattach it b4 I boot up HLT/ To make sure the OBDLink app is "fully" disconnected?

:)

Re: [HOWTO] Debugging OBD Communication

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:50 pm
by Harry
Kill the app please

Re: [HOWTO] Debugging OBD Communication

Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:36 pm
by froggy47
So today some different behavior, I will try to provide as much info as I can.

Did not use OBDLink at all, so it never communicated with the dongle, the only thing more I could do would be delete it off the phone.

Paired the dongle with the phone.

Opened HLT, the dongle connected & dropped about 3 times in 1.5 minutes.

Then it connected & stayed connected for 5 min. I started the car & it remained connected for another 5 min. Then it dropped after about 10 min continuous conn.

I shut the car off. HLT tried & sucessfully reconnected & held "green" for a couple of minutes & I turned all off to do the forum.

Connection @ 1 or 2 Hz compared to gps & accelerometer which both connect @ 10 Hz.

The ONLY change today is to not start the OBDLink app at all. Yesterday it was to set the HLT protocol = the Scan Tool protocol (both were "automatic" to start with).

Do you have a thought/setting to make the dongle connect more quickly & steadily like it does with the Scan Tool app? A setting for more communication speed?

Thanks.

Should I toss it and buy a wifi dongle?